Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Betterlight Still the Standard?

Re: Is Betterlight Still the Standard?

Quote Originally Posted by astroanalyst View Post
    I want to scan artwork in the most professional way possible. After some research it seems that this old Betterlight Scanback and a 4x5 camera is still 'state of the art'.
    Is this true? Are there alternatives? Also what about macro lenses on a Canon 5d? Are the results much worse?

The main question...
    If you had no equipment and wanted to start scanning artwork what equipment would you purchase?
    I do a lot of stitching, which in general is not that much work and generates very high quality results. But for someone who wants to "scan artwork in the most professional way possible", I will agree with Drew and state that this is not a good way to go. Even if you are shifting horizontally and vertically (as opposed to rotating), your rig would have to be exactly parallel to the artwork, be exactly level, have a perfectly linear lens with zero barrel/pincushion distortion, and shift exactly parallel to the artwork to avoid awkward overlaps of adjacent images which would create the need for creative PS work to correct. thereby destroying any semblance of faithfulness to the artwork.

Additionally, I have a D800e, which generates files of about 7320 pixels on the long side. If you want to print at 300 dpi, and not interpolate, you will be limited to artwork no larger than 24" on the long side (unless you resort to stitching). A 5D would mean even smaller art work.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post

Additionally, I have a D800e, which generates files of about 7320 pixels on the long side. If you want to print at 300 dpi, and not interpolate, you will be limited to artwork no larger than 24" on the long side (unless you resort to stitching). A 5D would mean even smaller art work.
    That is interesting thank you....it seems the unanimous decision is to go MF.

a review of the pentax 645 was just posted on DPreview.
    I also go some pricing for various lenses the other day, not bad, but not that cheap either.

Odd that no one has mentioned the most productive and cost effective solution: Hire a professional photographer.

The other relatively cost efficient scheme for the DIYer would be a home-built copy easel with built-in restriction on camera sensor movement off parallel wrt the easel plane, providing orthogonal-to-artwork x y z axes but no tilt/yaw/roll.

Nobody mentioned multishot digital backs. People using both MS backs and standard MF digital backs claim that MS gives much better results. Even the older and realtivly cheap one Hasselblad H3D 39MS. Newrer Hasselblads are H4D 50MS and 200MS and H5D.These backs make four exposures and the most professional ones like Sinar Exact 16 exposures. Here is a good explanation
    http://fstoppers.com/sinars-new-medium-format-back
    Also, keep an eye on Leaf Aptus and Credo backs, especially Credo, which are cheaper version of Phase One backs.
    In my opinion you don't need any camera movements ability here. If the artwork is yours, I'm sure you can take it down from the wall and put it in desired position that exzcludes need for movements. If you intend to use MF I recommend 120mm macro whatever brand you choose.

I have a Betterlight Super 6KHS, a D800, a D800e and I am currently testing a Phase One.
    I capture artwork for a living. What I can say is that the Betterlight still produces better images. One needs to light the original with HID copy lights and pola filters, zigalign, shoot a SG colour chart, shoot an oversized white card, map out all the brightness levels of every pixel with Equalight software, apply that math to both the image file as well as the SG chart, and finally build a colour profile.
    I compare files from each of these cameras carefully using All the above steps.
    For a painter the Betterlight still has the best colour, tonal gradations and sharpness.
    The best lens happens not to be enlarging lenses or apo ronar type copy lenses but the Apo Sironar S.

BTW Rencay took over Anagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamphotoman View Post
    The best lens happens not to be enlarging lenses or apo ronar type copy lenses but the Apo Sironar S.

BTW Rencay took over Anagram.
    Could have told you that without the scanback. Thanks for the rencay note.

Ha..Film is the standard.