Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Velvia 100 in 4x5

Re: Fuji Velvia 100 in 4x5

Well f***
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Xingqiwu

SECOND UPDATE: I just spoke with Samy's Camera in LA and they, too, confirmed that Fuji Velvia is being discontinued in 4x5 and 8x10. They have a few boxes left, and then it's sensa! The only reversal film will then be Provia - for how long? These developments are NOT NICE!

This is discouraging. Not that I shoot color transparency at the moment, but once I get the hang of LF operations, I might want to do so later.

Well there goes all of my 4x5 aspirations. Started in 1998 and its over. D800 here I come with great trepidation and frustration.

Never liked provia. Oh well. Life goes on with or without Velia; or does it?

PDM

2 Bit Hack

Strange, I have a D800e. It is the reason I started LF. Even at 36 megapixels it cannot come close to 4x5. Perhaps a new kickstart program for color transparency.
    Regards

Marty

I too have a Nikon D800E.

Excellent camera for what it is... a substitute for high-quality 35mm film work.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

My D800E and a good lens at optimum aperture just about matches up to a typical 4x5 transparency shot at typical working apertures scanned on a typical flatbed scanner, with regard to resolution.

I think some folks need to learn how to best operate their digital cameras. If you can only match 35mm film from a D800 you either have a broken camera or can't use it. But let's not go down this road...I wouldn't want to replace Velvia with my D800E because of the colors.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    My D800E and a good lens at optimum aperture just about matches up to a typical 4x5 transparency shot at typical working apertures scanned on a typical flatbed scanner, with regard to resolution.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I think some folks need to learn how to best operate their digital cameras. If you can only match 35mm film from a D800 you either have a broken camera or can't use it.
    You need to re-read my previous post.

Perhaps you misunderstood my "high-quality" description to mean shooting Tri-X through a 35-105 zoom. Wrong.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

All of this discussion around the discontinuance of Velvia in sheets seems concerning to me. If Fuji just recently made changes to the packaging and the new SKU's are available, why would they do this just before they intend to discontinue the sheets? Also isn't Velvia one of those film stocks that have a tremendous following still? Most landscape photographers still use it, although most I've seen do it in rolls with 6x17 cameras, not so much 4x5 or 8x10 or larger.

Xingqiwu

That was my thinking, too, but both Badger Graphic and Samy's Los Angeles stated without equivocation that this was "the last" of Fuji Velvia in 4x5 and 8x10. This leads me to believe it's now just a matter of time before all other color emulsions fall to digital as well. I've been a devoted Velvia user for years and this news hits especially hard.