Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod leveling base

Re: Tripod leveling base

I use a Manfrotto 029 3 way head on top of a Miller wooden legged Cine tripod. The tripod has a levelling head built into it. The level is adjusted by releasing a large knob beneath the head. It is possible to partially release the levelling head by just unscrewing the knob a tidge. You can then move the head but their is still some resistance to movement. I have no problems levelling the tripod with a camera on top of it. If I was to encounter a problem doing so it would be simple matter to take the camera off the tripod and replace it using the quick release plate. For me this set up ticks all the boxes except it is a little heavy. Transportable rather than portable.
    Off the beaten track I do not use tripod. I use a Manfrotto monopod with a Graflex camera. Either an SLR or a Speed Graphic fitted with a bubble level. The monopod doubles as a walking stick and is good for helping to ascertain how soft ground is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    "uses levelers but doesn't think they're silver bullets" <snip> I also use a Ries tripod/head set and find it really easy to level it by adjusting the legs because the leg spread locking gear is right up at the top. Wouldn't spend the money for a leverler with the Ries.
    Jim, I haven't yet found a magic bullet, doubt they exist, but levelers are handy.

My ancient Ries doesn't have the nice easily adjusted leg spread adjusters, alas.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Greg

Good point re the locking lever. I'll stick with the 338 for now - the knurled adjusting gizmos can be hard to turn and you sometimes run out of adjustment range and have to back everything off and start over, but in the end it does level the head and it's secure. I mostly use the Ries these days.

Are you going to NAB next week? I'll be there one day on behalf of my clients in Tokyo. One day in Raleigh, one day in Las Vegas, one day in LA - no wonder I never get time to shoot much these days.

Thanks all for the comments. Best way is probably to try it! Maybe with the handle of the old 138, I will feel more in control of the camera weight than the 438 lever that you have to twist. Also maybe Ari FLM with knob.
    Original idea is to save weight, look like one item will be added! I will also compare my actual material weight with wood tripod, never had one. The Ries look great and controls well designed.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Hi Greg

Good point re the locking lever. I'll stick with the 338 for now - the knurled adjusting gizmos can be hard to turn and you sometimes run out of adjustment range and have to back everything off and start over, but in the end it does level the head and it's secure. I mostly use the Ries these days.

Are you going to NAB next week? I'll be there one day on behalf of my clients in Tokyo. One day in Raleigh, one day in Las Vegas, one day in LA - no wonder I never get time to shoot much these days.
    No NAB for me. I have a book commission I am working on plus 2 projects for important commercial clients. So no time for travel. But happy to have a lot of photographs to make.

@ginette

The Ries I have has a set of locking clamps near the top of the legs that can lock the spread very well and conveniently. And it's fairly light. I really like mine a lot. With the leg extensions I can get the camera 10 to 12 feet high so I need a ladder to use it.

@ginette

The Ries I have has a set of locking clamps near the top of the legs that can lock the spread very well and conveniently. And it's fairly light. I really like mine a lot. With the leg extensions I can get the camera 10 to 12 feet high so I need a ladder to use it.
    @ Jim - I will need to add a ladder now More seriously what model do you have and paired with what head.
    Actually my Gitzo is heavy but solid, an old model Pro Tele Studex G1410. But I will look serioustly to the Ries.

For the leveling base, i will give a try to Ari FLM, the LB-25, a 25 degres, I will try it alone as my first idea was.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

I have been using my Manfrotto video tripod with fluid head under my Cambo cameras.

The fluid head sits in a 75mm bowl. With one hand I can move the camera up/down/left/right then lock it into position. This is far easier than trying to adjust tripod legs with fine changes.

There is a picture of me with this configuration at the top of my Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Terry.Thomas.Photos

In years past I had a Gitzo three axis head under my RB-67. One day at a wedding, I forgot to tighten the tilt lever and the RB fell forward with so much energy that the focusing chimney snapped the small mounting screws off of the camera body. Not good. So the last thing I want to have under any of my LF cameras is a three way head. Lesson learned!

I do have a Manfrotto 410 geared head that I use for my commercial and architectural work with my DSLR, 35mm and medium format cameras. Frankly, I have not tried it with any of my 4x5 cameras but may try it with my Crown Graphic just to see how it works.

I have a simple EZ Leveler. If you`re looking for an alternative to the Manfroto 338. It is easier to use the levelling nuts, and I have it on a Gitzo with the Manfrotto 410 on top for 4x5.

Just thought I would give you another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Chilibeck View Post
    I have a simple EZ Leveler. If you`re looking for an alternative to the Manfroto 338. It is easier to use the levelling nuts, and I have it on a Gitzo with the Manfrotto 410 on top for 4x5.

Just thought I would give you another option.
    I like the look of that thing; is there a bubble level anywhere? Can't see one.