Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 21cm lens that covers 8x10 format

Re: 21cm lens that covers 8x10 format

210 mm Computar Symmetrigon I wish I had never sold mine

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Does anyone know why they stopped making wide angle lenses for 8x10? It seems odd... I've seen 11x14 and even 17x20 ultra wide angle images, but 8x10 seems to have been skipped over...
    There's still one: https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...D=169&IID=1837 , if you have the money. The only other lens currently offered new that's wide angle on a format larger than 8x10 is https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...D=166&IID=1849 , which is a wide angle on 20x24, normalish with ample movements on smaller formats. Again, if you have the money.

The images you refer to were made with lenses that have been out of production for some time.

They all went out of production because of lack of demand.

It's nice to see the amount of information in a few minutes. From my years. University not witnessed something. It's nice to be with you.

I have used many lenses 210 mm in 8x10 format, and if I remember all of them covered the 8x10 format without any problems,on infinite focus. Then some more movement allowed by its larger field of coverage, but the differences were not large. (210 mm telephoto lenses do not cover 8x10 at infinity, but if they do distances of less than 5 meters). I always mean lens "standard or call normal lens" that are not designed telephoto or wide angle.

The equivalent angle of view for 35mm format is a wide angle of 28 mm but with no apparent distortion (usually no curvature of lines seen with the camera level).

There seems to be looking for a wide angle ... actually the visual impression is like attaching 4 pictures of the view of a camera 210 4x5 "together.

This has been used for years by architectural photographers (among whom I include myself) even without saying so in books like Kodak "Large Format Fotography" (I think that was the name ... I do not have on hand) were shown photographs of a inside cathedral in London made with a 210 mm (not saying anything more ... you have to read between the lines).

All spoke of many lenses, and they are all very good and valid ... but I remember 2 in particular Voigtlander Heliar and Voigtlander Xenar because both are very bright f: 4.5 despite having very different optical designs (one is symmetric and the other asymmetric, reminiscent of Planar and Tessar Zeiss).

The series APO for repro and enlarging covers the 8x10 format (that allows macro quality to them, even the amount their front and back bodies in a suitable shutter n ş 0 or # 1 or # 3 Copal or Compur .... I love doing that).

For years I use a APO LANTHAR, APO SKOPAR and APO RONAR of 210mm on my 8x10 for still lifes.
    Last edited by Francisco J. Fernández; 30-Mar-2014 at 10:23.

21cm lens that covers 8x10 format

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    There's still one: https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...D=169&IID=1837 , if you have the money. The only other lens currently offered new that's wide angle on a format larger than 8x10 is https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...D=166&IID=1849 , which is a wide angle on 20x24, normalish with ample movements on smaller formats. Again, if you have the money.

The images you refer to were made with lenses that have been out of production for some time.

They all went out of production because of lack of demand.
    Hahaha! They justified the price by making it out of gold! Hahaha

If course a 20x24 lens new I can see being that price. Cool thanks. When I start shooting 20x24 I'll pick one up

And this is the most useful thing ever

Widest lens that will cover 8x10 is the Nikkor 120 SW if I am not mistaken?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    210 mm Computar Symmetrigon I wish I had never sold mine
    Far as I know, it will not cover 8x10 completely, but I guess I could put mine on the 8x10 one of these days and find out. It is listed in the company's info sheet as having a "usable angle of view" of 72 degrees. Image circle at f6.3 is 242mm and at f22 it is 308mm. So at f64 it just might cover 8x10. It is a great 5x7 lens.

I have a Wollensak Graphic Raptar Wide Field 210mm/6.8 that does a nice job on 8x10. Small lens w/o shutter.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Hey, as if the question was about 21 cm (210 mm) covers 8x10. I have not mentioned other lenses ....

but so far I have spoken of 210 mm focus lens with large aperture and infinity.

It is now also speaks of more wide angle vision ... well, a Symmar (Symmar-S too) and convertible Symmar 180 mm cover to infinity focus and open diaphragm the closer 8x10 format (no movement or less).

and also a Symmar 150 mm (and Symmar-S and convertivle too) focused at 5 meters, or less distance, covers a 8x10 format (no movement)

Any lens, whatever it is, if located at a sufficient distance from the focal plane, and is focusing, formats will cover much larger than those for which it was designed.

Change the scale of reproduction and not focus to infinity. But it may even cover a 8x10 PHOTOMACROGRAPHY (Schneider Xenoplan 25 mm f: 1.9 C mount cover to 8x10 and more)

I'm used to meet and talk to the German lens (perhaps by being European) so some of the names of lens you mention, I have read those names, and those sound on book for years, but not know

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Widest lens that will cover 8x10 is the Nikkor 120 SW if I am not mistaken?
    As far as I know the Schneider 110mm XL covers and the Hypergon 90mm. I shoot a 120mm SW a lot on my 8x10 and it even allows a little movement on my 8x10 Wehman.

I wonder how difficult it would be to extrapolate from the Fujinon 300mm C type design and attain some lenses that match the shape but larger to create your own? I know optics are complex but if the lenses are pre-made can't you somehow make your own from currently available ones to make something wide angle that covers 8x10 generously while also being light?