Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bag for an 11"x14" Chamonix?

Re: Bag for an 11"x14" Chamonix?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Tuffin View Post
    Ive got a hard case but don't want to stand out too much when I'm setting up illegally in the middle of Sydney's CBD. This I can carry if only a little more subtly with the strap over the shoulder (the Chamonix is light enough for that).
    Because an 11x14 camera with foam in a black case and a handle is less suspicious than a pelican case... Lol, that bag looks like something that would contain a bomb...

And because setting up an 11x14 in general won't get you any attention

Have fun, sounds like an adventure.

Ive got a hard case but don't want to stand out too much when I'm setting up illegally in the middle of Sydney's CBD. This I can carry if only a little more subtly with the strap over the shoulder (the Chamonix is light enough for that).
    Try hiding in plane sight:

Get a high visability vest like a cconstruction worker or street worker wears, also get a white hard hat and a few orange cones.

When you set up your gear, set out the cones and put on the hat with the vest. you will at LOOK like you are supposed to be there. If you want to go over the top, run some yellow tape from cone to cone. Here in the USA these items are available at Lowes oe Home Depot. Don't know about Australia.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post

Get a high visability vest like a cconstruction worker or street worker wears, also get a white hard hat and a few orange cones.

When you set up your gear, set out the cones and put on the hat with the vest. you will at LOOK like you are supposed to be there. If you want to go over the top, run some yellow tape from cone to cone. Here in the USA these items are available at Lowes oe Home Depot. Don't know about Australia.
    Haha I should try that in time square

Working as a surveyor I was always surprised that we could park and set up pretty much anywhere. No one questions you in safety gear driving white pick up truck and cones .

I've been looking for a bag for this camera for a while now, but just can't find anything that will fit it. I've got the largest Kelty…doesn't fit, lower…too small. I've looked and searched forums but can't find any answers.

I would prefer something soft so I can be at least a little discreet in the middle of Sydney (I know that sounds odd but it might be better than rolling a big aluminium travel case and watching the heads turn). I've looked in camping stores and tried to find something to modify but alas still no answer.

The dimensions are 460mm (a little over 18") x 490mm (just over 19") x 150mm (6")

Any suggestions are extremely welcome…something you have available even better
    Do you have keen carp anglers in Australia and do they buy luggage to carry their gear? Here in the UK we can get their waterproof bottomed luggage for little money. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=fox+royale+rucksack You will need to wrap and protect as per Evan's solution but would have the added protection of the bag around it. You'd be working top access with a fishing bag.

The best solution IF IT CAN FIT would be one of Bruce Laughton's creations. I use his latest offering for my 8x10 Shen Hao along with lenses, film holders, meter, filters and sundry accessories. Contact him on http://www.photobackpacker.com/adm/ContactUs.php and explain what you want. He is a photographer in his own right, understands our needs very well and is a very pleasant man to do business with.

RR

This could not be more true.
    A high visibility vest and a name badge (no matter what it actually says or where it was issued from, a student ID works best...) is access to do pretty much anything, especially if you are carrying around some "delicate scientific gear". Always wear a hat.

Actually, you can't hurt the camera in my setup. I use quilted material as a giant lens wrap of sorts with an inch of foam between it and the frame. There is a lower shelf,the foam wraps around thereand the camera sits on it. On the GG goes the folded dark cloth and on top of that one or two filmholders in bubble mailers. The quilting wraps around with the corners to the center. The package is secured with two web straps with snap lock buckles which hold everythin well within the confines of the frame. I can get my rig going faster than many people can set up their 4x5. I get a lot of practice, I carry it with me at all times.

+1 for the surveyor gear. Wear a hi-vis vest, hard hat and have a witches hat or something handy. People will keep well out of your way