Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a winter 8x10 camera.

Recommendations for a winter 8x10 camera.

I am planning to start photographing winter landscapes in 8x10. What would you recommend? I am expecting temperatures will be a little chilly, hovering a little below freezing -so ease of operation using gloves is a consideration. Also I am wondering if some bellows handle the cooler temperatures better than others. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Recommendations for a winter 8x10 camera.

I would suggest a monorail. There are usually fewer things to lock/unlock to get the camera set up and controls are often larger and easier to grip.

You don't mention how far you want to cary the beast...

Wood's a lot easier to handle when it's cold. I have vivid memories of using a Kodak Master in the cold. Great camera, but the metal is a giant heat sink. The Master was easy to set up, but one of those non-folding cameras like an Ebony SW810 would make a lot of sense (even if the price doesn't!)

Don't breathe on the GG! While I have not gone to using a snorkel while under the darkcloth, I do hold my breath! Keep your light meter in your pocket to keep the batteries warm. Don't think there will any problem with any of the standard bellows.

I like this idea for an 8x10 camera for ease of set-up, but I'd miss the back movements. https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=3146
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Maybe you should also consider some snowshoes for your tripod, like the Manfrotto 230 set. These even make sense for 4x5 in muddy areas.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Ilford Harman Titan 8 x 10" Pinhole Camera is the ticket! 1.8lbs, and no worries about knobs, shutters, or any of that folderal.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I use a B&J 8x10 for winter (and year round) and it's got reasonably big knobs, etc.. A little below freezing isn't anything extreme so you should be good with most cameras. You're still going to want to take off a glove to set aperture/shutter, etc..

Different bellows have different surfaces, ranging from tinder to coated leather/paper composite to what seems like rubber. Pick something that's going to be OK getting covered in snow and then some of the snow melting it when it gets into a warm vehicle.

http://www.wehmancamera.com/snowcamera.jpg

Check out Vinny with a Wehman.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    http://www.wehmancamera.com/snowcamera.jpg

Check out Vinny with a Wehman.
    I know that guy.
    while that image was taken in the thick of it, I don't actually like the small knobs on the rear of the wehman when wearing gloves. If there was a space between the rear standard and the knobs, they'd be okay.
    I'd go for a chamonix. good for all four seasons we have here in michigan. winter, summer, fall, and winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I like this idea for an 8x10 camera for ease of set-up, but I'd miss the back movements. https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=3146
    I do like that Shen Hao. And the price is much more sensible, although it wouldn't have enough bellows for a lot of folks. Even more sensible (for me) is my Agfa (Ansco, actually). Non-folding except for the bed, but has much more extension and back movements, too. It lives in a top-loading case so it simply lifts out, ready to go. In fact, a lens can remain attached to it in the case. Works great for shooting close to the car. Even better inside where it's warm...