Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: new55 kickstarter has begun

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: new55 kickstarter has begun

eBay shows 124 results, substantially lower than 3,800. Sure, there were millions made. How many ended up in a landfill? (Along with so many precious things.)
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

124 today means there are loads out there- heck I have three!
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

And I have 12 boxes of original 55!
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    eBay shows 124 results, substantially lower than 3,800. Sure, there were millions made. How many ended up in a landfill? (Along with so many precious things.)
    You can usually get a 545 for under 20$ (in most cases 0.99$ + shipping, this has been the case for at least 5-6 years now).
    If you or anyone else ever have a hard time finding one (out of 124 options you have much more selection then say, a 550 back...) let me know and i will hook you up. That said, it would have not hurt the KS project to have some rewards containing a back...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I actually still have my 545 back. And a box of Type 55, and a box or two or ReadyLoads.

So this means everybody can stump up for $75!!!

Arrrghh, offa yer lazy arses, ye mangy curs! Put alla yer shoulders into it and HEAVE! HO! HEAVE! HO!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I have two 545 backs. Once cost me $1 and one was free.

If the lack of a back is stopping anyone from backing the project feel free to PM me. If you back the project and it succeeds, I will send my spare one to you at my own cost (Canada/US only).

Do or do not. There is no try.

There's another reason for supporting the New55 project even if you're not interested in the initial Polaroid-55-like product. A large fraction of the equipment and technology they need seems quite similar to what would be needed to make Quick/Ready Loads, and that would seem a logical product extension beyond instant p/n material. If you've ever complained about the demise of Readyloads you should consider supporting this campaign.

Remember to take out the trash

They've made some strange choices with the rewards and marketing. T-shirts cost money, which is out of the development budget. I have a feeling that the target audience isn't exactly the type to get excited about t-shirts. And making, packing and sending hundreds of t-shirts all around the world will take days on end.

Also, there's no quantity discount: 10 boxes costs 10 times one box. Even with a (re-)pioneering project like this one would expect some discount to encourage you to spend more.

Backed nevertheless. Although I use digital to check lighting levels in the studio, I really need polaroids to keep my sanity and ensure my PC port hasn't failed. Yet again.

The project has a good chance of success. It is typical for a campaign to stagnate mid-way, and such projects typically have very high volume of pledges in the last couple of days. Posting "sky is falling" messages in the feed doesn't help, though.

I will buy the product if and when it gets to market. But I am not a kickstarter backer. I still have significant doubts in their ability to come up with a suitable receiver sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    There's another reason for supporting the New55 project even if you're not interested in the initial Polaroid-55-like product. A large fraction of the equipment and technology they need seems quite similar to what would be needed to make Quick/Ready Loads, and that would seem a logical product extension beyond instant p/n material. If you've ever complained about the demise of Readyloads you should consider supporting this campaign.
    Good point, Steve.

-Sam Hiser