Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: new55 kickstarter has begun

Re: new55 kickstarter has begun

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Is an equity offer allowed? Would an equity stake endanger Kickstart? I do not know. I raise the question to bring out the experts.
    It's not permitted by Kickstarter. See the Guidelines ...
    https://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines

Traditional US securities law has forbidden offering shares to non-"accredited" (read "unsophisticated") investors. That seems to be evolving into a gray area and crowd-funding entities other than Kickstarter are contemplating doing Internet stock offerings. See Title III of the JOBS Act last Fall. It's not settled.

-Sam

The discussion seems to be about what can get New55 FILM across the goal-line at this late point in the campaign. As planned, it's going to be the small-bidders.

Kickstarter limits on reward quantities (10 units of something) and maximum pledges ($10,000) means that only photographers interested in supporting the project can get New55 FILM across the line. That's by design and that's why we chose Kickstarter: to test the market for a professional instant 4x5 monochrome film and to transmit to participants clearly that no sugar-daddy is coming in here to save someone's dream. It's on YOU! is our message.

It's about consumers taking responsibility for their supply. It's a very different paradigm than Coka-Cola and Kodak (although we may be using Kodak sheet film).

Listen to the pdexposures Podcast #31 and you'll hear the full perspective from Bob Crowley & I being interviewed by Simon Ponder and Tony Gale ...
    http://www.pdexposures.com/pdexposur...new55-project/

-Sam

Quote Originally Posted by swhiser View Post
    It's not permitted by Kickstarter. See the Guidelines ...
    https://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines

Traditional US securities law has forbidden offering shares to non-"accredited" (read "unsophisticated") investors. That seems to be evolving into a gray area and crowd-funding entities other than Kickstarter are contemplating doing Internet stock offerings. See Title III of the JOBS Act last Fall. It's not settled.

-Sam
    Thank you for the information and direction. I owe my retirement income to traditional investments so I am entirely uninformed of these new means.

For now I shall stick to the traditional.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Thank you for the information and direction. I owe my retirement income to traditional investments so I am entirely uninformed of these new means.

Kickstarter projects are projects, not investments. While projects give a reward in lines of something to do with the project undertaken, a project could offer as a reward poetry written on clean toilet paper, with an increasing number of squares at each sponsorship level. If the backers think that's just fine for a reward, then everybody is happy.

Some projects offer a discounted product as a reward, game controllers comes to mind. The project sponsors want to gauge how many serious supporters there are for this, because the whole point is to create a sustainable assembly line. It just doesn't make sense to cobble all of this together, satisfy a few people, and then demand plummets like a meteor. Ideally, this should result in something that's sustainable.

Imagine for a moment that Bill Gates got a jones on for LF and instant film. But lo and behold, nobody else cared about instant film, which is why Fujifilm gave up on FP100C45. Big Wallet Bill would have to be constantly shelling out to keep the assembly going, for himself and a dozen or so other people. Then Bill changes hobbies to machine gunning rats at the dump, and stops supporting the assembly line. No more product.

So here Bob and Sam are trying to get to the real grass roots, where the photographers are who will use this product on a hopefully regular basis. So the project needs those grass roots, not those one or two angel investors.

So how do I plan to use New55? One or two shots before using color, like I used to do with Type 55.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

They need about $93k in four days. Let's make it happen.

Larry

ok I was skeptical several days ago, never thought it would happen….

well it definitely has a good chance of happening now

it the rate of addition continues over the last three days as it has over the previous three day they will reach their goal

so the skeptic (me) just signed up for a box of film….

go team go….
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Yeah, thanks Frank! I can't believe they're getting close. Looks like $70k to make it. Go go go!

$65K to go!

I thought this is relevant to the discussion. An excerpt from the pdexposures podcast interview that was posted on Facebook today by Sam.

21:28 Bob:

No it's not; it's the voice of experience. You might not know that I'm a professional product development person who's spent this past three decades developing all kinds of new products in medicine – imaging catheters that measure blockages in the heart – microphones that they use for music recording, artistic materials, guitar pickups, antenna systems and a lot of other things. I have over 100 patents on all these things, and out of the, let's say, one hundred or so products that got released and that are successful, there were a thousand that didn't.

So it's always like this; there's always a risk. So being able to put the risk up front, to show everybody, before you make the investment, show everybody what's going on ... could be a new way of doing things in the future.

22:28 Sam:

I'm glad, fellas, that you get to hear Bob talk about his background. I think that's a critical piece of the puzzle here. People, backers, have seen little suggestions of it in our materials but he's been involved in some very serious inventions of his own, brought all the way to commercialization, including IVUS – Intravascular Ultrasound – the 3rd generation that is a staple in hospitals everywhere, and it saves lives. And this is something that our Bob Crowley did, himself! And so we've got the ingredients and the talent in this project to realize it.

Remember to take out the trash

As mentioned before several times, KS is not an investment, nor is it a pre-order. You are backing a project which would or could not be funded by more traditional means - and resurrecting instant film is a perfect candidate.

To put a blunter point to what I'm saying: if this doesn't get funded, you won't have any instant film to shoot in your retirement, and neither will anyone else. Therefore I have put my money where my mouth is, and backed the project at a year's worth of shooting. I will continue to do so, in the hopes that I will have something to shoot in my retirement in a few decades.