Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy film and paper in Canada?

Re: Where to buy film and paper ?

I am curious about something. I know the original question was about buying film in Canada. But why not buy film such as Shanghai from China?

I ask because that is what I do. I buy 4x5 Shanghai from an eBay vendor in China. It arrives via US Mail in about 20 days. I have never been charged US Duties.

So why isn't that an option for Canadian photographers? And could you not order Ilford sheet film from England?

Just wondering...
    Terry

Terry, You could order Ilford film from the UK....but it is already cheaper in Canada in any store....& that is not taking into account credit card exchange rates & shipping you would pay by buying from the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Jacques, where do you see film tab at Photo Service's website? My French is pretty poor... Thanks!
    You have to click on English, then on the left click on Shopping Online, then click on ONLINE PRODUCT CATALOG, then on the left go down until you see Film, then go down again and select Ilford and Sheet B&W film and click on search. I know it is not easy to find them even in French.

Re: Where to buy film and paper in Canada?

Rob emailed me this morning, he told me that any camera store who deal with the distributor Amplis can get Ilford film and paper.

I looked at the Photosource web page, found 4x5, but no 5x7 or 8x10. Hopefully they can order it.

Rob's prices were pretty good, so now I'll have to check up prices from all of the suggested sources.

Thanks all !

Timely thread.
    I have just been re-stocking on 4x5 anticipating further down-slide of our CAD compared to EUR and USD.
    I usually buy from B&H as I find them to have the best price for both the film and the shipping to Canada (often cheaper than shipping quote within Canada) but lately there was a price increase on the Ilford film and of course our CAD having gone down so:
    1) I purchased two 50 boxes of Arist.EDU (100 and 200) at less than CAD $50 each from Jacques at Argentix (will go up soon as when inventory disappear)
    2) I purchased four 25 boxes of HP5 from Photo Service in Montreal (they do not have 100 box but four 25 boxes is cheaper than one 100 box from Amplis photo the distributor of Ilford in Canada - $129 versus $132)

Hopefully I like the Foma/Arista film for indoor work. I will still stick with HP5 for outdoors but I am definitely starting to pay attention to the price of film....

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen
    I am very sorry to run out of time to be able to follow all these interesting posts on this site and others, and would like to tell you about the upcoming service to be available on Argentix.Ca.

It is not an easy task to keep on the shelves 'the' good brand, in 'the' good size within 'the' appropriate number of sheet per packaging.

This is why I will soon start a special order service available to Canadian and US customers.
    No need to be fully registered on Argentix.Ca to use this service.
    The only condition is a 15% deposit, required 5 days before the monthly deadline, to confirm your order.
    Any order over 250$ CAD (excluding the applicable Canadian taxes) gets a free shipping - again Canada and USA only.

Advantages : frozen price, no import/Customs/Duties headaches for Canadian users, plain Canadian price.
    About the price, I am willing to, and will, lower my margin. If this material is not sleeping on my shelves, I do not mind passing up the savings to you.

Nothing for the urgent need of material, because I will manage each order on the last Mondays of every month.
    The start-up will be with pre-selected items, but I will also analyze and add to the offer items you may suggest.

My main goal, after keeping the silver-based photography alive, is to provide the optimal product freshness for items I may not keep due to special storage or unknown stock-rotation.

The products included in this offer are films, papers and specific chemicals. Not necessarily the 'big-names' but also Bergger, Rollei, Agfa, Compard, etc.
    Also some material I have not seen available up here yet.

If you have any specific product you would like to get, or to share your opinions about this service, feel free to send me a line at jacques at argentix dot ca

Have a great day!
    Jacques

Thank-you Jacques.

another thanks here and I'll have to visit your website.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

I think the photographers using 4x5 film should be fine and able to get the film from a number of places.

I always felt it was important to keep the weird sizes in stock like Delta 100 in 5x7, or HP5 whole plate, 7x17 and up. I always tried to keep stock in those weird sizes even if it was just a box or two. I think those guys are going to have trouble getting film down the road. Not sure if anyone else has 4x10 in FP4, HP5 and Delta 100 in stock.

Anyway it was fun while it lasted. I'm midway through my Masters of Fine Art degree and want to concentrate on my own work for a while instead of explaining to customers which "Thumbs Up" they need for the new digital wonder.

-Rob Skeoch

This is my first post on this forum. I couldn't help replying to the thread. I am in nearby North Bay, ON and have been setting myself up to start shooting 4x5 again after a pretty long hiatus. I spoke with Noel at our local camera store, Photometro, to see if he could get 4x5 film. He did some research and told me he could special order it. http://photometro.ca/contact-information.html

Anthony

www.automotivology.blogspot.com