Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Stop by and copy my images?

Re: Stop by and copy my images?

Quite the dilemma... We make photographs to show others our vision, but don't want them to take them without paying.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

John Olsen

Galleries around here generally have no-photo signs. The signs also thank people for helping to protect artists' copyrights. In fact, the sign is nearly identical in the galleries, so no visitor should feel that one shop is unusual or unfriendly.

Whenever someone asks to take a snapshot to show hubby for approval, we always say yes. This way they know we're serious about our work and we can have a respectful conversation on the way to making a sale. I don't worry about it so much for my photography; however, the artists who are doing painted, carved or clay pieces are fairly vulnerable. And yes, I have seen potters and carvers who wanted to snapshot another person's idea with obvious intention to copy.

I think standing up for your copyright is a simple matter of self-respect. You learn a lot about people when you ask them to respect you.

The only reason anyone should do anything in the artistic realm, is because they cannot do anything else.
    Hmm speaking only for yourself I think. For me it was a choice after successfully being an auto mechanic, a welder and then a union organizer.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Hmm speaking only for yourself I think. For me it was a choice after successfully being an auto mechanic, a welder and then a union organizer.
    I all ready liked you as a photographer, Kirk, and now you just gave me three more good reasons to like you!

I'm a retired (disabled) member of Local 36 Sheet Metal Workers. I learned to weld at apprentice school and always did my own mechanic work when I could (I let the experts work on my automatic transmissions if necessary).

Wonderful background! I won't touch a car again, only motorcycles and I really need to get welding again. Melting metal IS magic.

One of my goals is learning to gas weld aluminum, just like the old timers. I do know about the expert in that field. I should take his class.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Stone, heed thy own words. The only reason anyone should do anything in the artistic realm, is because they cannot do anything else.
    I'm a Trucker, and have worked my way onto the iceroads, where I've been accepted by some of the best truckers in the world.
    I am constantly turning down offers from other companies. So would think that I am good at what I do.

However, guess what. I have decades more experience behind the camera than I do behind the steering wheel of a big rigs.
    If the transportation companies think I am worthy of a decent pay cheque, then why don't some of these people who really want my artwork feel the same way.
    It's usually the people who really can't afford it that are willing to pay a fair price.

The most silly thing is that these cheap people who would never dream of doing anything for free for you.