Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop by and copy my images?

Stop by and copy my images?

So my gallery is not officially open yet but I'm there a lot, lights are on, door is open.

I'm talking with a friend, young woman comes into the doorway. Can she come in? Sure I say, feel free, walk around look at the images. She's from out of town, can't come back. No problem, I say. Welcome.

So while I'm chatting with my friend I look over at her once and a while--and then I notice it. She's taking her iphone, carefully framing up an image of mine and making a copy. She made at least two photographs that I saw. Maybe more that I didn't.

While she's shooting I think to myself, you know, I don't really have a policy on this, do I?

Should I have a policy on this? I debated various aspects and thought I had come to a conclusion but then at dinner that night my fifteen-year-old daughter had a better idea. I'll share her idea later--for now, what do *you* think the policy should be? Let them shoot? Post a sign saying no? Something else?

I thought it an interesting quandary...

--Darin

Re: Stop by and copy my images?

Add "self-copy" to your price list.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Provide a 'post to facebook/Twitter/pinterest facility at your gallery?

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Add "self-copy" to your price list.

- Leigh
    Perfect!

One of my motivations for learning how to take photographs properly was that museums and galleries almost never sold slides or postcards of the paintings and other objects that I found most interesting. A lot of places get upset these days at the sight of a decent camera – let alone the 6x6 SLR with lens on extension tube I used to press up against display cases – but they mostly don't mind mobiles, so I still take quite a few record shots with mine as an aide memoire.

Your visitor may have been doing something similar. I know I regularly still do at exhibitions of art and photography, even if there is a dedicated website. If nothing else, the snaps are a useful record of what I thought I should look up later.

My instinct would be to permit, and even encourage, this kind of behaviour, while making it hard for those who are looking to rip you off. How likely is it that an in-gallery shot with a mobile is going to be marketed on Etsy, or passed off as their own work? Not very, I would guess, although it must happen occasionally.

I often take a record shot of the information plaque or label on the wall beside works, so one option is to keep comprehensive online catalogues with small, but quality, images of all the works on show. Put a catalogue number, or even a QR code, on the label or wall-plaque which identifies the works. Make it easy for people to re-connect with the work or the artist (not to mention you) a few days or even weeks/months after visiting the gallery.

I can see this is leading to a postcard rack at your gift shop.

Next to the Café!

WWCD?

What would Clyde do?

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

OP...I let anyone copy whatever they like of my images. But, I don't sell prints.

I have donated my works to over 70 museums and public collections around the world. If I was money hungry then I would not like people copying my work. I would want every last penny. I would not donate to museums, I would just want $$$.

I would be like Helmut Newton. He would tell his printer to make his prints used for fashion mags to fade away in a couple of months. That is what money does to you.

I prefer to live by the credo 'don't shit where you eat' I do photography for love of the medium and freezing time. If I had to do it as a job or to make money I would hate it.

We had a thread here one time asking what you do with scrap prints. One member replied he used to trash them. Then he found an artist picking them out of the trash to make collages from them. He said he cuts them up now so the artists can't use them.

What do I do with mine? I donate scrap prints to artists to make collages out of them. That sums up the $$ based mentality versus love of the art based mentality.

Here is an Irish bagpipper I shot recently.

http://wheelingwv.tumblr.com/image/79834256130

I wrote him and asked if he liked the shot I'd be glad to send him a free 11 x 14 Baryta print. I never got a reply.

What would a $$ based photog do? He would send him a watermarked image asking for $$.

I wouldn't bother as long as nobody starts to set up a view camera with a scanning back. Today the smartphone is the second brain for a lot of people and posting stuff they like on facebook is an important part of their lives. I'd just see it as free PR with high credibility. Most companies try hard to get people share their stuff online (and most fail). It might even be a smart move to actively encourage sharing pics of your gallery. Ideally they'd link back to you, so having an FB fan page is a must as well I think. These guys might come back after a few weeks when they look for a piece for their new flat or their mum's birthday.

Use of images (or content in general) can't be controlled or limited online anyway (without getting flamed by the online community) so why not use it to your advantage?

Just my 2cents,
    Sebastian

PS: I like your space a lot. Will stop by if I ever get the chance.

Well, it is possible she was copying your images to steal them and get filthy rich selling them on greeting cards or mugs or maybe your image will appear in a magazine ad soon.

OR....

Maybe she did it so she can pin, post or tweet your photo and share it with her friends because she thinks it's cool.
    Maybe she's looking for art for her walls and is taking pictures of ones she likes.
    Maybe she's an interior designer who buys hundreds of pieces of art a year and keeps things on her phone to show her clients.
    etc...

People pay a lot of money to try to get their work out there. IMHO someone who willingly wants to share your work for free is a good thing. There is a small chance they are evil but I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd look at what other galleries do but I suspect that most of them will allow photography, just no flashes.