Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "New" Zone VI 4x5 Instructions

Re: "New" Zone VI 4x5 Instructions

Thanks for all the responses. I'm sorry that I was unable to respond sooner today.

I probably should have been more specific. I'm looking for the actual Zone VI instructions for the cameras made by Fred Picker between 1989-1993. This would be after Fred had his falling out with Ron Wisner over Wisner's failure to deliver on camera orders. My camera has a serial number placing it in 1989 or 1990 from what I can find online.

Although I do know how to use a field camera (I have an early Zone VI Tachihara), I like to have as much documentation for my cameras as I can find. I still have my original manual for my Yashica Electro 35 and I have most of the manuals (photocopied or downloaded) for most of my other cameras. Probably I'm just being anal, but I enjoy reading the manuals.

Again thanks.

Dave

Octogenarian

Dave,

AFIK, the actual Zone VI cameras made in Vermont did not come with instruction manuals. At least, mine didn't.

I also had two new Wisners. They did not come with instruction manuals, either.

There is a Wisner manual, of sorts, but it's pretty minimal and I've only seen one.

Wisner Manual

Might not be in an instruction manual, but mistakes can happen when you close a woodfield camera.

I have a Wisner and have had a Tachihara never used the zone VI, however when closing your camera never come close to forcing anything, if the camera is not closing smoothly, not snapping shut, stop, open the camera and try to understand what is wrong. I have been out in the field and after shooting, I brought the camera back to the car and drove it home sitting open on the seat next to me because I couldn't figure out why it wasn't closing smoothly. Normally the problem is that the camera has not been completely zeroed out correctly. I eventually added a few little dots of black paint which has helped with the problem.

Another little thing is to check that all the screws are tight from time to time.

Incidentally, if anything is wrong with your camera, I can definitely recommend Richard Ritter for servicing.

Best of luck with the Zone VI

I subscribed to Fred's newsletter back in the early eighties, and I'll always remember the one from 1984 where he talked about the recent death of Ansel Adams. I owned a lot of Zone VI darkroom equipment, but never any of the cameras.

Thanks to all who have responded.

SCM: Thanks for the Wisner info.

John: Believe me, I know the problems that can happen w/ a field camera and closing. My Zone VI/Tachihara has wrinkled bellows from a previous owner trying to force the camera closed. Really makes it impossible to properly close the camera. If I don't sell it, it will probably be sent to Richard for new bellows and other service.

Jonathan: Unfortunately, I have never read one of Fred's newsletters. I understand he had some interesting views. Maybe with the Calumet bankruptcy, someone will get permission from the trustee to electronically distribute them. After all, from Calumet's standpoint, Zone Vi Studio assets are probably not very valuable except for the name.

Again, thanks all for the help.

Dave

I have the Zone VI Tachirara as well. Great camera, and can be identified by it's having chrome color knobs instead of gold/brasstone.

If I remember correctly, the Zone VI catalogs of the Picker era had at least a couple of pages devoted to using the view camera, with the color photo illustrations being of the 4X5 camera. It was something of a mini instruction book. Perhaps one of those catalogs could be found on the auction site.

Keith