Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ansel Adams' Best at the Getty in LA

Re: Ansel Adams' Best at the Getty in LA

Peter, this is a little closer...

http://www.eiteljorg.org/explore/exh...ns/ansel-adams

My wife just showed it to me. It's in Indianapolis...but still closer than LA.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    All seriousness aside, that's nutty. An opinion on everything, incredible or not, eh Darin? People like and respond to what they like.
    I have no real clue what you are trying to say. You can spot good works of art by looking for the crowds, sort of like restaurants when you are traveling?

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    My life will near completion when I can, finally, stand in front of a print by his hand, "The Tetons and the Snake River, Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming."
    If you are serious about what you wrote why not write a nice letter to the folks at the Seattle Museum of Art--your sig says you are in Seattle--they own a copy:

http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/emus...urrentrecord=2

Maybe they can give you an opportunity to see the print. Can't hurt. Just use the same words you used here.

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    Ansel Adams' selection of his best images is at the Getty Museum, LA, from March 18 through July 20, 2014.
    But, but, I thought these were the best ...

http://arlingtonmuseum.org/exhibitio...s-masterworks/

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Am I doing you or any one else a favor in suggesting that it is very likely that there is one very near you already? Contact your museums, libraries or universities to see if they got one in their collections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    If you are serious about what you wrote why not write a nice letter to the folks at the Seattle Museum of Art. ...Maybe they can give you an opportunity to see the print. Can't hurt. Just use the same words you used here.
    Oh yes, "The Tetons and the Snake River" is part of Seattle Art Museum's permanent collection, but it's not on display, and there are no plans to put it on display. In other words, it's in "safe and secure" storage, and has languished there for some time.

Typical of most big museums, SAM will pull it out for special cases, like formal academic research or publication plans. So close, yet so far away!

Maybe I can go downtown in a tweed jacket, and introduce myself as Dr. Heroique, LF forum.

Les

Maybe I can go downtown in a tweed jacket, and introduce myself as Dr. Heroique, LF forum.

OK, docta put a lime in the cockinut, you can see couple of those of AA extraction, but they are not going to be super iconic (my choice). Well, one of those is "The Bridevail Falls". They are relatively small - 8x10- but what the hey. We can meet, and you don't have to go to LA to see em. You can put on your tweed jacket anyway .

Les

It would be super if the show traveled up to SAM.

Bet I'd see you there!

Meantime, the "Teton-Snake" print (at SAM) is 15-15/16" x 19-1/16", certainly worth a "lime."

Drew Wiley

Fifty percent of it is people staring at his prints because they're supposed to. After all, it's Ansel Adams. I certainly respect his contribution to the art, and especially
    his sensitivity to natural light, and poetic rendition of it. But I've never been overwhelmed by him as a printmaker. He got the effect he wanted, and communicated
    his visual philosophy precisely. But frankly, some of what I'd consider his best images or prints have never even been published, to my knowledge. I have no idea what the Getty is specifically showing, but way to much of AA has devolved into a visual commodity used as a venue draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ...I have no idea what the Getty is specifically showing...
    All you had to do was go to the link in post #8.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    ...The Getty show has an illustrated "checklist"...

http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions..._checklist.pdf...

Drew Wiley

OK. Largely commodity images ... with a couple exceptions, the same ones that one sees over and over again. Nice opportunity if no one has, but a selection like that sure wouldn't tempt me if I were in the neighborhood. At least they do have a couple of older ones, just to mollify the stereotypes.