Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens questions

Re: Lens questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    My camera has the normal lens that come with it (the 127mm ektar, I think). I just want a LF lens more portrait oriented.
    Okay, so overall focal length and shutter size remains a consideration on a Speed Graphic. You might look for one of the shorter Wollensak Verito/Veritar diffused focus lenses (classic portrait lenses), or maybe one of the *stigmat (Anastigmat, Velostigmat, etc) lenses for a vintage look, keeping in mind the max shutter size and focal length of the Speed Graphic bellows.

Also consider the overall length of the lens.

The Speed Graphic and its brethren were designed to close with the lens mounted.
    This limits the length on both sides of the lensboard.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I've never owned a Speed Graphic, but I've looked in to portrait length lenses for them. According to one source, bellows draw stops at 12.5 inches. A 12 inch lens will be at 12 inches when focused at infinity, leaving not enough additional draw to focus much closer. I did calculate that a 10 inch lens (254mm)will be at 11.6 inches, when focused at 6 feet, giving a field of view of about 2 feet by 2.5 feet. But, I may have done my math wrong, because that seems a bit close, and a bit wide.

One useful rule of thumb is to take the 35mm equivalent focal length, and multiply it by 3. An 80mm portrait lens would be roughly equivalent to a 240mm LF lens, or a 9-inch lens. (85mm is like 10inches).

As for a lens with a vintage look, it kind of depends on which era. 1850-1920 soft, dreamy focus? A meniscus lens. Late 1800's sharp in the center, swirls on the edges, a petzval. Pre 1920's styles: doublets, triplets. 1930-1950's 'style', uncoated Tessar. There are tricks and traps here - this kind of lens nerdery gets complex fast.

The very best thing you can do for yourself is to go look at the images posted in the image sharing forum. There is a lot of excellent work, done with every kind of lens, helpfully labeled with the name of the lens, and threads helpfully sorted by subject.

Keep looking, keep asking us questions, and good luck!

The Ektar f/7.7 203mm lens permits the camera to close with the lens attached. On a Crown Graphic it will focus down to almost 1:1 magnification. 200mm is a good length for many portraits. However, its relative small aperture isn't as good at throwing the background out of focus as wide aperture portrait lenses, and its image is sharper than some of those older lenses that some photographers prefer. There are other modern lenses in that focal length with similar performance.

Thank you all. Let's see if I can summarize the answers. There is not much problem if the camera can not the closed with a bigger lens, because I can let her open when the lens is mount and just stay were I have the cameras, or after I take the pictures I change the lens, etc. In terms of vintage look, well a 1850-1920 soft, dreamy focus; a meniscus lens; late 1800's sharp in the center, swirls on the edges, a petzval. Pre 1920's styles: doublets, triplets. 30's beyond look does not pull me, in terms of LF.
    I will look for a lens, having in consideration what you all said and any questions or doubts I will post here.