Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deletion of Sales references to Ebay!

Re: Deletion of Sales references to Ebay!

After some discussion of the issues, the moderators have concluded:

eBay (and other site) links, alerts and pointers mostly seem to fall into two categories:

1. well-intentioned pointers or links to things that might be of interest to other LFPF members, and
    2. posts that amount to secondary ads for the poster's own auction on the other site, or those of a friend.

"Examples" might be a third, less-frequent, type of post. In such cases, the use of the full product name should suffice, rather than posting a link to where one is for sale.

Posts of the #1 type are prohibited because the LFPF shouldn't be used to drum up business for eBay, and those who are actually interested can do their own searches there, while those who aren't interested are tired of seeing those posts. Posts of the #2 type amount to spam and will usually be hard-deleted, so they don't show in the forum index, and the poster warned.

This is reflected in a minor tweak to the rules:

"Auctions are not permitted, nor are announcements, pointers or links to items for sale at other web sites or points of sale. They are prohibited and will be deleted without notice. "

Moderators will continue to exercise a degree of discretion when dealing with specific posts.

Your work is much appreciated, both in this tricky matter and as regards general thread "housekeeping".

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    After some discussion of the issues, the moderators have concluded:

eBay (and other site) links, alerts and pointers mostly seem to fall into two categories:

1. well-intentioned pointers or links to things that might be of interest to other LFPF members, and
    2. posts that amount to secondary ads for the poster's own auction on the other site, or those of a friend.

"Examples" might be a third, less-frequent, type of post. In such cases, the use of the full product name should suffice, rather than posting a link to where one is for sale.

Posts of the #1 type are prohibited because the LFPF shouldn't be used to drum up business for eBay, and those who are actually interested can do their own searches there, while those who aren't interested are tired of seeing those posts. Posts of the #2 type amount to spam and will usually be hard-deleted, so they don't show in the forum index, and the poster warned.
    Does this also prohibit links to for-sale ads on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Does this also prohibit links to for-sale ads on this forum?
    Good question, Will. I think that depends on how the "internal" link is posted. While we wouldn't want the main topic forums to be flooded with links to ads in the FS/WTB sub-forum (essentially internal spam), there might be cases where such a link could be appropriate for educational or reference purposes. So, I think that would be a case where moderator discretion would come into play.

The hostility to Ebay, and to sales in general, is interesting. I wouldn't have any of the equipment I have without it. Just as has always been the case with local camera stores, LF forum sales present the tiniest fingernail clipping of what's out there, and if I had to depend on those two sources I'd have hardly any stuff. I bet it's the same for many people here. Just one example, I finally landed a Cambo ground glass protector for my Cambo. I'd been looking for months; none of you are giving up yours, and if I had to depend on ads here I still wouldn't have one. In those months, exactly one has shown up anywhere, and you know where.

I think we should be singing the praised of Ebay, not censoring it. On some forums they won't even spell the word, as if hell will break loose and blanket the earth. From here, it appears some people just have deeply-seated mental problems and an inability to deal with the world with placid sanity. Where does all of that hostility come from, anyway?
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Most people here already own what they need and just want to talk about using it. We get many complaints about the volume of sales postings as it is. That doesn't mean they are hostile to sales services elsewhere.

eBay is available to anyone who is shopping. This is a non-commercial site and we decline commercial proposals of various types (including just links) frequently. The for-sale forum is a service to regular participants who do not want to use eBay for reasons they are not required to explain. Those who do want to use eBay don't need this forum--we all know how to use it if we are interested in shopping for something.

Rick "not hostile to many things we exclude from this forum" Denney

Kevin Kolosky

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    So, I think that would be a case where moderator discretion would come into play.
    Uh, Oh!