If this lens needs to be in a shutter, the choices will be limited.

My suggestion would be to get a f6.3, 10" Commercial Ektar or a f4.5, 250mm Schneider Xenar. Both these lenses can be had in shutter or barrel. Both are easy enough to get and not too expensive and will produce fine images given the specific lens is in proper condition.

IMO, there appear to be bias against both these fine lenses for various reasons which may not be real or apply to the type of images that meet your needs.

Both will cover 8x10 at head-shoulder distances no problem, they will cover 8x10 at infinity.

The Dagor will have a different look compared to a Tessar and a Dagor of similar focal length will easy cover 8x10. Know Dagors have been made for a very long time. Don't be sucked in by considering only gold rim, gold dot versions as non-gold versions can be equally good.

The only way to really know what your lens preferences might be, some testing must be done.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Will Frostmill View Post
Thanks guys!
I'm not looking for a lens that's exactly f/9, just one that is at least f/9. So, yes, the Ilex Paragon sounds interesting - thanks for the data point Dr Tang.

Tim, I had heard that macro lenses make for decent moderate length portrait lenses on small formats because they are well corrected, but not over corrected for astigmatism, leading to unremarkable, completely innofensive bokeh. I had just assumed that enlarger lenses would be designed similarly. Plus, cheap, you know?

Jonathan, I'm now really curious abount Dagors. I'd just assumed they were too expensive. Turns out I'd been skimming too fast, and only noticed things about the Gold Dot Dagors. Oops!

Mat5121, that's pretty comprehensive, and I'd never seen that site before. Fascinating.

Dan Fromm, why 10 inches? It matches the angle of view I 'see' in, in other formats. I see portraits slightly wide. I prefer a little wide angle distortion with waist height, or chest height portraits, because that's how close I stand to people I talk to. I know few others do that sort of thing.