Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi from Holland

Re: Hi from Holland

Hi Jan (thought I had replied but it's gone). Anyway, I'd seen your site (but with your 'nick' here being different it didn't register. But some wonderful shots, especially industrial and sculptures! And yes, I do travel: working on a series of the Antwerp region (east) at the moment and I've been a prolific Urbexer (Urban Exploration), mainly in Wallonie, Belgium (Clabecq steel mill, a crystal factory south of Liege, cokerie, a huge US 50's & 60's car cemetery near Luxembour, several 'chateaux'. Arrested twice, handing over film Getting up at half past 3 in the night, a friend of mine driving, entering the location before sunrise, that sort of thing.
    I've a cousin who used to work in the Venlo area, still has a house there, which we use as a holiday pied-à-terre sometimes. Maybe we can meet up one day!? There's an abandoned factory near Liege for example (one of the few Urbex sites I've never visited), I forgot the name (have to check my notes....Hasard Cheratte comes to mind now), it can be spotted from the motorway. You probably know Zollverein (and may even have been there)?
    As far as portraits are concerned (thanks for the compliment); just ask people; get them near a window, against a white wall (watch your metering, spot metering is often best as matrix or centre weighed will cause under exposure of course, a black dress the opposite, avoid direct sun if you can, place the model/person under a tree -if enough foliage that is-), a great thing to do working with people, very rewarding.

Hi Andy,
    sounds great! In fact I will visit Liege this Sunday wiht some friends. I guess the Hasard Cheratte could be the old coal mine or something like that? A frined of mine lives close to the Belgian border and knows the Wallonie quite good. You can find his work at www.joerg-bergs.de . Belgium seems to be very interesting for Urbexers.
    For sure I know Zollverein! It has lost much of its fascination through the last 5 years, since they are either restoring everything (so it looks fancy and new, I hate it), or put fences around all the interesting areas. Really a pity!
    There are some interesting buildings left in Duiesburg harbour area, I have to get there again soon. Urbexing is a challenge with LF, because there is no way to get in and out very quickly.
    We can definitely meet some time! This friend of mine and I are thinking about to set up a meeting for analog photographers, and want for example Wolfgang Moersch to attend it. Probably mostly German photographers, but all should be capable of speaking English. When we have a final schedule, you are of course invited to join us! Will probably be in the area around Aachen/Cologne/Düren.

Regarding your portrait shooting tips, that really sounds easy...but I guess might be more challenging than it sounds :-)

Hi Andy,

Greetings from the Netherlands
    I live in Oisterwijk (near Tilburg), and have been experimenting with LF for a couple of months now. There's still a lot to learn. But I'm really liking it so far.

Cheers,
    Hans

Btw. Are you familiar with the AFF (analoog fotografie forum).
    It's a Dutch only forum, dedicated to analog photography.

Yes, Hasard is a former coal mine plant I think. There is (or used to be, I'm no longer up to date on Urbex) a 'care-taker' who'll let you in for a small fee (might I say a bribe? . It's a good excuse in case the police show up so probably worth the investment. My friend and I somehow just never got around to visiting it. But Wallonie is -or used to be- a great area for Urbexing indeed (looks like your friend Joerg has been to quite a few of them too), although -especially- the Belgian-French police don't like Dutch and prob Germans as well roaming around. And indeed, rather awkward with LF-gear, although, once being spotted it's best to act the innocent/unwary instead of making a run for the exit (I almost managed to talk ourselves out of an arrest, stating there were no fences on one side of Clabecq, the guard -who had reported us to the police- acknowledged this to the police. But the police wouldn't budge, saying 'au commissariat' as I refused to hand over the film -but my friend didn't want to take the chance-). After that I switched to digital (making a few shots on one card, then the real stuff on another, which enabled me to come home with a full series -having switched and deleted the first card during the second arrest, although I later learned that the files can still be retrieved). But no fun in digital.
    I'd gladly join up any meeting if I can and I do understand German (had it in school) it's the speaking I'm not that good at (it's the 'Mit Nach Bei Seit' that makes me a little insecure
    And yes, portrait work isn't as easy as it sounds, quite a challenge even, doing both the technical aspects and instructing the model, more of a psychological game in a way (much like roaming around a chateau ('Miranda' I think it was) with hound dogs barking, echoing in a Wallonian valley or footprints in the snow at the Cristallery (not ours!) or military police driving around a building (as we watchhed from above....at footprints which were ours!). You may not always end up with photographs but stories a plenty!

Quote Originally Posted by HoodedOne View Post
    Hi Andy,

Greetings from the Netherlands
    I live in Oisterwijk (near Tilburg), and have been experimenting with LF for a couple of months now. There's still a lot to learn. But I'm really liking it so far.

Cheers,
    Hans

Btw. Are you familiar with the AFF (analoog fotografie forum).
    It's a Dutch only forum, dedicated to analog photography.
    Hi Hans, thanks and yes, I know the AFF, although I'm not much of a forum-visitor (this one being the exception). Check out my conversation with Jan (Rollinhofuji) though, as regards to a meeting of sorts. And maybe we can up sometime too?
    Best,
    Andy

Hi Andy, it definitely sounds thrilling! Although I am not keen on meeting the Wallonian police, I would be tempted to try the old joke "hoe laat is het?" with them. Maybe you know it? I got it from a Vlaams guy (or do you say Vlaming?)...

Hans, if you like you are of course also welcome to join the meeting!

Tot ziens,
    Jan

No, I don't know the joke Jan (And yes, we say Vlaming)

OK. Remember me to tell it when we meet - it's best when you can show it (like pantomime) :-)

ok, will do