Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand / Otago area

Sverre Aurstad

New Zealand / Otago area

Hi all and a special hi to New Zealand large format photographers.

I'm going to spend some time in Otago between 11th of April and 1st of May. I'm bringing an 8x10 and b/w film and I'm researching interesting landscape scenery both by the ocean and inland. Shore landscapes are of interest and also rain forests and mountains and rivers. It would also be nice to meet other photographers. We are going to be based in Dunedin where my daughter is an exchange student this semester.

I would be very grateful for all advice from members of this forum.

Sverre Aurstad
    Oslo, Norway

Re: New Zealand / Otago area

Magic time of year, enjoy. I live about 3 hours drive away on the way to Milford Sound if you happen to be going there. Coast north and south of dunedin are all good, just go for a drive. Inland is good too. try and get down some rural gravel roads far from the main tourist traps.

Hi Sverre, I am based in Dunedin and it would be great to meet you!

I would definitely take the long way through the Catlins and do the waterfalls, especially Purukaunui.

Quote Originally Posted by lumi View Post
    Hi all and a special hi to New Zealand large format photographers.

I'm going to spend some time in Otago between 11th of April and 1st of May. I'm bringing an 8x10 and b/w film and I'm researching interesting landscape scenery both by the ocean and inland. Shore landscapes are of interest and also rain forests and mountains and rivers. It would also be nice to meet other photographers. We are going to be based in Dunedin where my daughter is an exchange student this semester.

I would be very grateful for all advice from members of this forum.

Sverre Aurstad
    Oslo, Norway
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Sverre Aurstad

Thanks a lot, David, I rally look forward to the trip. Guess I must bring more film than usually, New Zealand landscape is really special.

Sverre

Sverre Aurstad

Quote Originally Posted by ecoleica View Post
    Hi Sverre, I am based in Dunedin and it would be great to meet you!
    Great! I'll get back to you with details when we have booked a place to live. Thanks for your kindness, it will be nice to meet a real NZ photographer!
    All best, Sverre

Sverre Aurstad

Quote Originally Posted by DavidFisk View Post
    I would definitely take the long way through the Catlins and do the waterfalls, especially Purukaunui.
    Thanks, David Fisk! Will do, the Catlins are on the list and thanks for the Purukaunui tip! I'll get a travel guide tomorrow and good road maps when I get to Dunedin.

Sverre

Fortunately, the highway through the Catlins is paved ("sealed" to the Kiwis), so the drive is very pleasant. Catch Matai Falls and McLean Falls as well. McLean is about a 20 minute walk with the others just a few minutes from your car. When I go, I drive from Queenstown or Te Anau, leaving at 6:00 a.m. and get to Dunedin at dinner time. That will give you an idea of timing. Even then, there's not quite enough time in a day to do it all, but you won't be disappointed.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Shag Point -- about 60km north of Dunedin...interesting rocks on the coast if you happen to be driving by.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Sverre Aurstad

Thanks, I guess may main problem will be time, New Zealand must be some of the worlds best locations for landscape photographers. I plan on bringing 40 sheets of 8x10 and may have to pack more ...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidFisk View Post
    Fortunately, the highway through the Catlins is paved ("sealed" to the Kiwis), so the drive is very pleasant. Catch Matai Falls and McLean Falls as well. McLean is about a 20 minute walk with the others just a few minutes from your car. When I go, I drive from Queenstown or Te Anau, leaving at 6:00 a.m. and get to Dunedin at dinner time. That will give you an idea of timing. Even then, there's not quite enough time in a day to do it all, but you won't be disappointed.