Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help help drowning in mac land

Re: Help help drowning in mac land

Spent all day messing with the blue box.

The drive in a bay 1 believe is scsi and I have no way to connect it. I was assuming it was the boot drive. Left it disconnected.

The drive in bay 2 is connected to the ata socket on the motherboard. I just used a different connector on the data cable assuming the broken one would not interfere with signal path.

The monitor was showing odd colors with the VGA cable.

I pulled out all cards and connectors and used contact cleaner

I connected computer to monitor with digital cable.

Started computer

Got question mark on startup screen. Colors are looking better. In frustration I closed side door of computer "firmly". Whoa it booted up. Drive two had an OS on it.

I moved it from my workbench to the desk next to scanner. Booted up,

damn got ? Uuggghhh

Started tapping on the IBM drive in bay 2. Ah ha it booted up. Gotta replace the drive I guess, it's sticking. I'm going to let it run all day.

On to the scanner which is full of dust from inactivity. Assume a damp cloth is ok, any gotchas that might fry the machine (or me)

Making progress.

Things to find out

Can I run more than one ata drive?

How to copy all this stuff over to another drive...

Learn ancient Mac software, Uuggg

Learn how to use trident 3.5 - should I upgrade???

Lots of tape residue on drum, will clean with drum cleaner, gotta find info on this. First drum scanner I've had. Seems more complicated than my old Cezanne so far.

Bob

SCSI connectors come in several forms - the specification was uprated over time as drives got faster.

For internal devices, a 50-way ribbon connector was the normal SCSI-1 device. That's what I would expect in a G3. For comparison, an IDE (parallel ATA) cable would have 40 pins. From the illustration it looks like you have a drive with a SCSI-2 connector. This is still 50 pins, but more compact in a sort of D shape. You would usually have a SCSI adapter in the computer with a matching connector, but you can adapt it. Then just for fun, there is a 68 pin Ultra 320 SCSI connector that has a center connecting strip in a flat D-shape body. I doubt that you would see one of those in a G3.

SCSI cables have to be terminated - this is usually done at the adapter, and with a plug on the other end of the cable. Basically resistor packs, they help keep the signal levels stable over the length of the cable.

I wouldn't try running SCSI drives if you can avoid it. Getting parallel ATA drives is going to be hard enough these days. SCSI lives on in the command set, but the interfaces are all high-speed serial now.

You can run two ATA drives on one IDE channel. The G3 might have two channels, so you may be able to run a CD-ROM, and three IDE drives. It's been a while since I last looked inside a G3.

Both hard drives are probably on their last legs. The shipment with them loose inside the case will have bad consequences. It's a good idea to find at least one replacement asap, though I don't know where to find any ATA/IDE or SCSI drives.

"Can I run more than one ata drive?"

Yes, pretty sure that you can."

"How to copy all this stuff over to another drive..."

Not sure about the best way. You may be able to install a USB2 card in the G3, or perhaps Firewire 400 or 800. This would allow you transfer data via a portable hard drive.

"Learn ancient Mac software, Uuggg "

Yes, not pretty unless you have already been there through all of the early Mac systems.

"Learn how to use trident 3.5 - should I upgrade???"

Not much choice if you choose to use the scanner with OS 9. Aurora would be a tad better, but you probably could not get it for free. The best solution would be to install a SCSI card in your Mac Pro and buy Silverfast, or buy DPL and run it on Windows, but both of those options would cost you something, so I would not do either until you know the scanner is working. And you should be able to verify this with the G3 and Trident.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I just spent a few hours trying to get everything working (again). I sort of blew it rebuilding the desktop to be looking at the monitor with an rgb grid - with nothing discernible..

Anyway after getting it all straightened out, I found the one drive I have to be roughly 150 gb broken into 2 partitions. I think that means its a version 2.

1gb of dram. Decent vid card for the timeframe. I apparently don't need the scsi drive.

Since I have a small raid (3TB) on the network, another drive is not necessary, I believe. Biggest issue remaining is this drive is likely unreliable so I need to get another drive. I can mirror it over I hope. Just got to figure out how.

My biggest problem is getting to understand this OS and it's limitations and working requirements. I wasn't in Mac during this timeframe. Before and after, but pre OSX goes way back to the early Mac SE.

Cosmos was great, hope you all saw it.

Bob

Morning folks,

About software, I'm scanning 95% large format black and white. Very little color and when I do shoot color film it's almost always medium format transparency.

I set my file base point with the clear film edge and get all the density the scanner will give me using the eyedroppers. All editing is done in Photoshop.

I have a small raid on the network all files are sent to as a raw scan where my Mac Pro picks them up.

All of this came from using a Cezanne for years with ColorGenius on a GS4. The solfware did accept calibration with a E6 Provia target, I wonder if Trident does also?

In spite of what I just stated I am concidering doing the PC move over. I freely admit my current approach is pretty much just an old habit that works well enough. I would move over in an instant if there were a qualitative change in the file output.

Bob