Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beseler Dichro 45 no light

Re: Beseler Dichro 45 no light

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jane View Post
    I am just about finished restoring 3 Dichro 45s - only have a metering problem left in one unit. One unit had the exact same problem.

The most common (and universal) problem with the Dichro 45 . . .
    The following identifies two different Beseler color heads: The Dichro 45 (Computerized), and the 45s.

I was wondering, to which are you referring above?

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    The following identifies two different Beseler color heads: The Dichro 45 (Computerized), and the 45s.

I was wondering, to which are you referring above?
    Bumping kinda old thread, to ask the same.

A kind member sent me a Dichro 45, not the S, and I'm having trouble with the bulb not lighting. I have read through the manual, and it doesn't really have a robust troubleshooting section.

The head turns on in "Status" mode as it should, then when turned "on" it takes a few flips of the switch to get it to show zeroes on the LED panel. At no point does the bulb turn on. If I turn the timer to focus or run the timer the head sometimes just reverts to showing one zero on one LED panel. Is that a message that the bulb is dead? I have read here and on other threads that they tried and failed to get the bulb to light even with a new bulb so I don't really want to buy a bulb if it is indeed a circuit board problem. The bulb looks almost new too, though I am aware that is not really indicative of anything.

One more question - which is newer, the 45 or 45S? I'm confused as to the difference.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

then this is the diagram you'll need for a dichro s.....

One reason I like condenser heads...Old electronics are the bane of analog photography. Light meters, flashes, all of it. Might be something in the air? Stop bath?

Reason 2 is they sell new for $2300! And that's with 33% off. https://www.adorama.com/be8278.html?...IaAqzyEALw_wcB

I now also hate any darkroom timer. They are not reliable. I have at least 10 bad ones, that look like new. Soooo

I am going to use a metronome, which I have but it's electronic too. Out damn spot!

German made all mechanical, another half yard gone. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Wittner/...e.rrt1|ClickCP

I get that Randy, though I've not had problems with my timers (love my Beseler audible timer). I just hope this is fixable. Not sure what to make of Paul's post, I don't have an S or a want to reinvent the wheel here.

John Olsen

Ken Burns made a suggestion earlier in this thread about the filter lever under the head that I might call to your attention, just in case you read past it. See message # 5 above from 2004. This has happened to me before, and I felt pretty silly.
    Good luck

Thanks John. Yes, the white light lever is set correctly. The LED lights will tell me that the filters are out of the light path as well, as expected. Light still doesn't turn on either way.

I've removed one circuit board and overall things look really clean. I'm not sure if the instructions in post #7 is for the 45 or 45S. I'm also not seeing how the other daughter boards are connected to the main board. They don't have the same simple connector as the one I removed.

Does Beseler repair these? Probably not worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Thanks John. Yes, the white light lever is set correctly. The LED lights will tell me that the filters are out of the light path as well, as expected. Light still doesn't turn on either way.

I've removed one circuit board and overall things look really clean. I'm not sure if the instructions in post #7 is for the 45 or 45S. I'm also not seeing how the other daughter boards are connected to the main board. They don't have the same simple connector as the one I removed.

Does Beseler repair these? Probably not worth it?
    Send an email to Kevin Brown at KHB GRAPHIX in Mississauga Ontario. He repairs all things Beseler, KHB is possibly Canada's best source for darkroom equipment. Kevin repairs stuff that no one else will touch, and he's been very helpful in helping me find parts to do my own work. Great company.

The S model is the one with the vactrol problems... I posted the diagram incase you had that one, I saw someone mention tin can optoisolators. What dies in teh vacrtols are the mini neon bulbs. If you open the can neatly, you can install a new neon bulb. No one has done that yet but worth a try.

The other alternative is to replace the vatrol with a newer LED flavored opto isolator and a few extra parts... which I dont recall and hasnt been posted by the people that did that.

So this is just for people with that variety of board and for the search record in case someone needs the info.

yours may not be the same from what I see you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    The S model is the one with the vactrol problems... I posted the diagram incase you had that one, I saw someone mention tin can optoisolators. What dies in teh vacrtols are the mini neon bulbs. If you open the can neatly, you can install a new neon bulb. No one has done that yet but worth a try.

The other alternative is to replace the vatrol with a newer LED flavored opto isolator and a few extra parts... which I dont recall and hasnt been posted by the people that did that.

So this is just for people with that variety of board and for the search record in case someone needs the info.

yours may not be the same from what I see you describe.

I've fixed 3 Dichro S models by replacing the Vactrol iso. The S model doesn't have Led display. The 45S model came along after the bullet proof DG head that had a separate blower box and a 24V transformer that attached to the enlarger cross member, has a huge shop vac style hose that goes to the cooling blower box. The Dichro 45S went away when the computerized head with the d.a.t.a. modules came out. The computerized head then went away and a new and improved dichro 45S came back. Also the IMHO, the Finest head Beseler ever made came along, the Beseler 45 Universal. I have two of these beauties. The head comes with 3 250W lamps, they are additive heads 3 Dichro fixed filters red,green,and blue. Has a separate computer control box where you dial in Y,M,C filtration. The computer uses your inputs and uses the RGB lamps to deliver the correct exposure. Has a closed loop system that monitors lamp output, deadon.
    The other version I have is the VC variable contrast head has green and blue filtration, the red filter is replaced with a clear uv cutoff filter. With the VC controller you can print any contrast or what I do is use split grade, 2 exposures 1 at zero, 1 at 5. It's fabulous. Beseler was bought and sold at least once during the production of the Universal 45, so it died a early death, they didn't sell well and have issues with the controllers. Last I heard Beseler still sold the now flawless new and improved 45S. However I suspect that when they sell what they have that will be it. Now the only new light source available for just about any large format enlarger are high tech LED sources made in Germany by Heiland supposed to be awesome look to spending a couple grand.
    Of course the original condenser head works perfectly fine. Split grade filters under the lens works fine, costs about 35 bucks on ebay. Watch Darkroom Dave on the web teaching split grade printing, it's amazing.
    I still print color, I think it's a blast. It's sure not as easy as using an inkjet
    Mike