Thread: Water white glass--cost?

Water white glass--cost?

Anyone buying water white glass for their framing? Could you give me a sense of what you are paying?

--Darin

Re: Water white glass--cost?

I have purchased the 2mm glass here:
    http://flatglassproducts.howardglass...s-2?&forward=1

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the link. Are those the actual prices paid? Shipping included?

Also, why the high heat borofloat vs the B270?

--Darin

Funny. The distributer gave me a framed sample thing with the water white, regular glass (which itself looks better than the glass at home depot), and "non-glare" glass. All side by side in a frame with water white in the middle. So as people stop by the gallery (not open yet but friends stop by, etc) I show them the frame and hold a small piece of white mat board behind the framed glass, moving it to the left and right. I tell them they are looking for color casts, reflections. Which one do you like better, I say.

They ponder, debate the merits of non-glare glass. They are standing two or three feet from the glass but I'm holding it, mat board back and forth, left to right. Everyone so far has chosen the regular glass, because they don't like the no-glare. Then I tell them I'm thinking of buying a bunch of glass--the kind in the middle. They are surprised--not thinking there *is* any glass in the middle section of the frame.

Even when you know it is there you sometimes have a hard time seeing it...I like it!

-Darin

Darin,

It's been a while since I purchased any from them and I don't remember exactly what I bought. The B270 sounds about right. Shipping is extra and they have a minimum order as well. I used most of what I bought for making ground glass for a couple of cameras.

Drew Wiley

Darin. I buy mine wholesale from Delta Mat & Mldg (formerly Hankins Koppel). I think they are still located in So. SF, so should be easy to pick up from (full cases only). And since you no doubt have a state resale permit, they'll sell to you, along with other essential supplies like matboard. One very important consideration in our climate is that condensation easily forms behind glass, so you might want to think twice about framing with it instead of acrylic. Glass is not a good insulator, so you want to be certain the perimeter walls of your gallery space are well insulated. The risk is obviously mold on either the inside surface of the glass or the prints themselves. The optically coated variety needs to be cut with the same kind of special cutters used for tempered glass, not ordinary float glass. This glass is also thin and fragile, so not good for shipping your prints by parcel carrier.