Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from the San Francisco Bay area

Hello from the San Francisco Bay area

Hello.

I have been taking pictures since I was about 6 years old, back in '76, starting with an Instamatic 100, moving to a 110 camera at 8 or so. About the same time, my father got a Pentax ME Super and I used that a lot as well, basically, any time he wasn't using it.

When I was 11, I found a Argoflex 75 in the attic, complete with a flash gun that took big flashbulbs. I started playing around with this, and loved the attention it got, especially when you would fire one of those big blue flashbulbs. I was impressed by the pictures it took as well, almost as good as my dad's SLR.

I used the Argoflex and my dad's SLR until I was 18 or so, when I purchased a Vivitar PS35 autofocus 35mm pocket camera, and stuck with that until I was 29, when I took a photography class. I dug out my dad's ME Super, but it needed work at that point, so I bought a Pentax Super A, which promptly failed. Then I used a friend's Olympus SLR for the class.

I enjoyed the photography class, I loved developing my own film and prints, and the instructor and art students thought I had a lot of talent. I was an engineering student, and am an engineer at heart, so I didn't speak the lingo, but still had a lot of fun listening to them describe what my photo's "meant"

When I got my first job as an engineer, in 2000, I bought the latest, but certainly not greatest, Pentax SLR, and had fun with that for a while, before digital became to seductive, and I switched to a Fuji Finepix 2800Z. I then bought a Panasonic FZ2, which I promptly destroyed in a fall, and replaced it with an FZ6. During this time with the digitals, I lost my passion for photography. I kept taking pictures mind you, but it was more of a means to record events, rather than as an artistic expression.

After 6 years with the FZ6, I looked at upgrading to the latest/greatest Panasonic, but I noticed the Pentax K01, a funky mirrorless DSLR quality camera that didn't know what it wanted to be. The K01 was an unmitigated disaster for Pentax, because it was too big to attract the typical mirrorless purchaser, and the lack of a viewfinder turned off most enthusiasts, myself included. The price however, for a camera that was full manual capable, with an almost pro-level feature set, and had an image capability rivaling the best of the best in DSLRs, while costing $500 with a pair of lenses, was simply too much for me to resist.

With my purchase of the K01, I had to buy a camera bag, because of its bulk and extra lenses. Suddenly, I was no longer throwing an "event recorder" in my bag, but hauling a camera around in a bulky bag. I started thinking in terms of artistic expression again. I became passionate about photography again. But something was lacking. The best of my images simply did not speak to me the way film generated images had once done.

I started researching the differences between digital and film, and realized we had been fed a lie. Digital is not capable of creating images as good as film can. It just can't do it, currently.

I still carry around the K01, and love it. I have an 8-16 Sigma, and a 18-135 Pentax lens. Those two lenses give me mind-boggling versatility and superb image quality. I just recognize it's limitations and understand the need for a film camera to capture those special images that really speak to me. The digital is wonderful for getting the image NOW, for getting images that would be lost forever, otherwise, and it is very, very convenient. But I wanted film as well.

Further research showed me that 35mm was not where I wanted to go. I decided that medium format was the way to go. I found a Ricoh Diacord G 120 film camera from the late '50s. It is fully manual, with no meter, but the Pentax has a great meter, so I take the shot with the Pentax first, then transfer the settings to the Ricoh. There is something wonderful about slowing down and taking a couple of frames with the film camera, and the resulting images are fantastic.

I also picked up a Minolta Instant Pro to play with the new Impossible Project film, and a '60s era Polaroid 100 to play around with Fuji's instant film. I have been having a ton of fun with photography lately.

So now I want to get into large format on a budget, say under $1000 total. I am wanting flexibility so I can try out different kinds of photography. With my other camera, I shoot just about everything you can think of. I looked at 4x5 first, then 5x7. The lack of film choices with the 5x7 is discouraging, but it looks like the cost and weight of 5x7 is not too much more than 4x5, and one can shoot 4x5 in a 5x7 camera. I do like antiques and wood, so I am considering the older wood cameras, but I am not ruling out more modem stuff. I'm still absorbing the huge amounts of information out there. I love that there is an active forum covering large format photography.

Wayne

Re: Hello from the San Francisco Bay area

Hey welcome to the forum, Wayne! Film really is special, especially large format film!

Welcome to the home of friendly LF folks. Many o0f us refugees with long pilgrimages.

Welcome, from the central valley.......in LF, you get what you pay for....hopefully..............

Welcome from SF. If you want to use my 4x5 sometime you are welcome. I've also got an 8x10. Stayed away from 5x7 because of the scarcity of film but it is a more rectangular format which I like and a sweet spot for weight versus area. Plus with the 4x5 back you can have your cake and eat it too.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

DG 3313, I know exactly what you are talking about. You will pay for the good stuff, but often you will pay for garbage too...

Thank you for the offer angusparker. I will probably take you up on it once I've learned the basics. I have a few books coming and have a lot to absorb right here!

Welcome to LF! Fortunately, we in the SF Bay Area have a fairly active LF Meetup group: http://www.meetup.com/SFBayAreaLFers/

We have meetings roughly every month, sometimes every other month. Maybe you could propose the next location?

Several people have joined to get an exposure to LF before purchasing their cameras.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

During this time with the digitals, I lost my passion for photography.
    One sentance of 12 words says it all!

I will have to look into the meetup group. So many great locations in and around this area.

I shot some 620 film in an Argus Argoflex 75 and developed it myself this weekend. Its the first time I've developed color. I need to figure out a way to scan it, but my crude first scans turned out very interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140310_1801322.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by VaderSS View Post
    I will have to look into the meetup group. So many great locations in and around this area.

I shot some 620 film in an Argus Argoflex 75 and developed it myself this weekend. Its the first time I've developed color. I need to figure out a way to scan it, but my crude first scans turned out very interesting.
    Congrats on your first color development.