Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mare Island access?

Mare Island access?

Hello!

Just a progress report---I'm waiting for confirmation from the Mare Island Historical Society and Park for the second week end in Novmber, preferably Saturday. I don't think we'll have a problem since they'll have plenty of time to find a docent for us.

There is an annual San Francisco Bay Flyway Festival in January where they'll open up Mare Island to the public though it'll no doubt be crowded(none the less it'll be an opportunity if you can't join us in November!) Check out the site for the 2004 Flyway Festival at http://www.sfbayflywayfestival.com/mareis.html

FWIW, there is an art exhibition thats part of the Flyway Festival-------hmmmm? I'll keep you all posted on what I find out.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Mare Island access?

Hi again, John

Thanks for the update. The second weekend works fine for me; I have it penciled in.

Mare Island access?

austin, I have to apologise for pirating your post! I'll have to start another thread----once again my apologies. I just get a bit carried away sometimes--- A week ago Sunday was "International Talk Like A Pirate Day"

Glad to have you aboard, Steve!

FWIW, Private vehicles aren't a problem. When I told the fellow at the Foundation that we'd be bringing big honkin' cameras he agreed private vehicles would be the way to go. I guess if anyone is planning on showing up via the ferry we can figure out who'll have extra space and pick you up at the terminal. Also I specified that this was to be a photo shoot, so it should be pretty much a docent leading our caravan to various locations and sticking around to answer questions, unlock gates and fend off the security patrols rather than the stock "tour."

They're going to check on the cafe at the golf course to see if has reopened yet.

I'll post whatever I find out in the meantime until I get a confirmation.

Sadly, the last time I was there I think the "elephant train" had already been scrapped. The elephant train was a tram with the cars shaped like elephants connected trunk to tail, left over from the International Exposition and found it's way to Mare Island where it was used to transport the workers around the place. Apparently all the elephant's trunks had broken off due to wear and tear over time anyway---a bit of Mare Island trivia.

One thing I'd like to know though is if there is any interest in interior shots of the Commandant's House. They charge a few bucks extra for opening it up on the stock "tour" if it is available(both the Commandant's House and St. Peter's Chapel are sometimes used for marryin' and buryin' and other special events.) I have no idea if either of them are booked on our week end yet, but I can find out---I just don't want anyone to be disappointed if you have a specific interest in it.

BTW, what is the protocol in case of rain? Cancel? Press on regardless? Let the docent call the shots? What should I tell the Mare Island people? Thanks for any and all advice.

Any more "takers?"
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Mare Island access?

Hi, all. I was directed to this discussion by Steve Nieslony (thanks, Steve!).

I'd like to join the Mare Island trip.

Mare Island access?

John,

Actually, thanks much for 'pirating' the post; it worked out better than I could have hoped for. I thought it was going to be the case that I went down to Mare Island by myself and sort of snuck around, wondering how many seconds I had after I pulled out my camera before 'The Man' swooped down on me! Anyway, that Saturday is great for me. I'll have some room in my car if anyone needs a ride from the ferry. I'll be driving down from Santa Rosa.

As far as rain goes, I'd still be up for it, even if the camera doesn't get uncovered. Nothing wrong with a 'scouting' mission.

Mare Island access?

Help!

My Bride just informed me that my niece's wedding is on Nov. 13th and my daughter is the flower girl and my son the ring bearer(meaning: I'd better be there!)

I've already approached the folks at Mare Island and I'm just waiting to hear back for a confirmation.

Rather than changing dates(unfortunately I've got a job in Sacramento Nov.6) is there anyone who would care to take over the reins on this project? All thats left to do is basically posting the confirmed time & date to everyone who wants to be involved. meeting everyone at an old building across from the causeway to Mare Island and making sure everyone antes up for the docent. I'll hand over in information on our POC as soon as I get the details confirmed rather than confusing the good folks at Mare Island. IF there is a concensus about changing the date to Nov 6, we can encourage Will to take over since he lives nearby and has an "in."

What say Ye?

wfwhitaker

Mare Island access?

If folks would be interested in November 6th or 20th, I could help out with this. I cannot make it on November 13th since I have to work that day. I'd like to hear from those interested if a date change is in order. I'm still under the assumption that Saturday is preferable to Sunday, at least for the majority.

The danger inherent in undertaking something like this is that you can't please everyone. But the sooner we have the information, the better off we'll be.

Thanks!
    -Will

Dave Karp

Mare Island access?

My wife and I are still trying to work this out, so a date change will not impact us. We will try to make it on the date everyone else agrees on.

Mare Island access?

Hello potential Mare Island group. The 6th, 13th or 20th of November work for me as do either a Saturday or Sunday. However, as Will cannot make it on the 13th and the 6th and 13th are out for John, how about the 20th?

Mare Island access?

November's pretty open for me at this point; any weekend day would be fine.