Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mare Island access?

Mare Island access?

Merg, Will,

I'll call them up and see what they say. BTW they do open up the wetland side to the public once or twice a year, kind of a field day thing. I'll try to find out when the next time is scheduled.

Any preferrence for shooting in the morning or the evening? Or both? I'm a Fresno boy and not familiar with the lighting conditions in the bay area in the wintertime.

Regards,
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

wfwhitaker

Mare Island access?

John,

I'm an east-coast boy who just lives here, so I don't really know, either. I think we should just take what we can get. If it can be organized in time for this fall, that's fine. Much will depend on the response you get from them. Whether morning or evening, I would just opt for something other than midday. Also Sunday may be better if fewer people. What are the chances they'll say it has to be Monday to Friday? Definitely worth asking anyway.

-Will

Mare Island access?

John,

No preference as to time of day but bearing in mind that as we approach late autumn the daylight hours shorten considerably. For landscapes, certainly early or late light adds drama; however, with the abundance of subject matter, any time would probably be satisfactory.

Dave Karp

Mare Island access?

John,

Thanks for the additional information.

And yes, it would be great to do an outing, if we can solve the logistical problems (the kids, work, travel arrangements, finances, etc.). We for sure won't be available until late October. I will have to talk to my wife about this. It sounds like one of my dream places to photograph.

Mare Island access?

Hello all,

Little did I know when I posted the initial question on this thread that I would receive back such a bounty! Wonderful!

I would very much like to participate in a Mare Island outing with you guys. Weekends are pretty much open, though at this point not until November or December. I live up in Santa Rosa; I'd say about an hour and a half (?) from Mare island. Though as you can probably see from my first question, I've never visited there, I'd say it sounds like my kind of place too.

Mare Island access?

I forgot to add that if it would help our cause any, I would be happy to donate copies of any of my successful prints that came from the trip to the historical society.

Mare Island access?

I'd be interested in getting in on this, too...
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Mare Island access?

Kerik, Will, Merg, Austin & Dave & anyone else thats interested:

How does the second week end in November sound as a tentative date? Is a Saturday or Sunday prefered or should I just take what I can get?

Does anyone else want to join us? If this grows into a huge group, it might be better to arrange for two docents to "man" more than one area at a time (to keep us out of each others way)

I'll have to see if they've finished remodeling the cafe at the golf course---it might be an interesting place for lunch and give us a chance to explore that side of the island.

FWIW, there is a book "Sidewheelers to Nuclear Power" by Sue Lemmon and E.D. Wichels about Mare Island's 123 year history. Great background information. old photographs, list of historic buildings, and a map with the building numbers. It should be available through most public libraries, and is a good way to acquaint yourself with the kinds of structures you'll be seeing, as well as the "layout" of the area so if theres something special that you're interested in you'll at least know where to look for it.

Keep your suggestions coming!

I'll keep you all posted as I get more info!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Mare Island access?

John,

Please count me in as well - I have a conflict on the 14th (Sunday) though :-(

I am open to any part of the day or all day - Lunch at the Golf Club sounds fine to me as well.

Steve

Mare Island access?

John,

The second weekend in November should work for me; either Saturday or Sunday would be fine. If you or anyone else interested in this trip would like to contact me more directly to try and sort out details, please feel free to e-mail me (austin@austingranger.com) or else you can find my phone number on my website (www.austingranger.com).