Thread: Good Light Trap material

Good Light Trap material

I finally found what seems a good source of light trap material (felt type stuff)

I was looking for some to fix the light traps on my Mido 8x10 clamshell - the adhesive felt stuff you can get at hardware stores etc was both too thick and disintegrated when cut into thin strips.

I finally tracked down some light trap "flocking" paper at Edmund Optical (for lining telescopes and other optical applications)

Seems like exactly the right stuff. Self adhesive, nice tight felt nature to it. In fact it seems identical to what I was stripping off, as well as looking pretty much the same as the material used on my Phillips 8x10.

This looks like it would work on most of the cameras I have when a light trap needs replacing (like it does on my super graphic back) etc.

One problem - I wasn't paying attention when i ordered it late at night. It was only $17.00 - I didn't notice that was for two 20" x 30" roll.... (smallest size they do). I think I have enough of the stuff to last until about 20 years after they stop making LF film :-)

http://www.edmundoptics.com/

just search for "flock paper" I think (or flocking)- they do 3 or 4 thicknesses, but only one in adhesive backed I think - anyway, that seems pretty close tot the thickness on most of the cameras I have.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

wfwhitaker

Good Light Trap material

Good suggestion. Thanks Tim!