Page 48 of 59 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Alt-Process Prints from Digital Negatives or Positives

Re: Alt-Process Prints from Digital Negatives or Positives

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    I can relate, on the tri color gums I've done the color looks "believable" but it isn't even close to reality. I doubt I could ever achieve reality in tri color gum with my abilities
    Erik - do not worry about that as the look of your prints have been magnificent and when I work I am not trying to mimic the original file, if that was the case I can do inkjet and cprints.

Tri gums have a very beautiful look that I feel are somewhere between a Fresson and a Dye Transfer.

be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Erik - do not worry about that as the look of your prints have been magnificent and when I work I am not trying to mimic the original file, if that was the case I can do inkjet and cprints.

Tri gums have a very beautiful look that I feel are somewhere between a Fresson and a Dye Transfer.

be happy.
    I agree Bob and I learn to love the color inconsistencies. Gum has a way of looking good no matter what.
    I'm glad you got rid of the spots that plagued you!

So Erik - I have found that with the new workflow my gums are washing out really fast, not complaining btw but I am wondering your time to wash out before you hang?

Also I saw 3/8 inch shrinkage between full sheet not wet and sheet wet then dried, this actually is astounding info for me as I think I need to preshrink everything as this really is causing
    the paper to move even when mounted on aluminum, this actually shows how strong this stuff is if the paper can move.

I also am doing duo tone gums with the same neg (paper pre shrunk and no mt to aluminum) mixing Umber or burnt umber as the first hit , then coating blue or another colour on top, some really nice effects, I will post the results down the road
    but I am feeling pretty good about this gum thing, now.. those black fisheyes were enough to drive me down a bad road.

The options are incredible once you start working , I have a big file of film let me tell you.

I'm happy for you Bob! I know the frustration when process flaws gets in the way of making the images you have in mind. Just when I think I've got it nailed down something comes along and humbles me again.

My gums develop in probably 10-15 minutes. I just turn the paper face down in the tray and let it develop. This is just using room temp tap water which is very slightly alkaline.

When you say the full sheet shrinkage is 3/8th of an inch are you referring to a 22x30 sheet? I don't bother preshrinking unless I'm printing 11x14 or bigger then it's mandatory. 8x10's don't shrink enough for me to see alignment issues but again I'm usually aiming for just a shadow bump in my work and not full exposure where I might see alignment issues in the mids.

Now, get back to work on that pile of negs stacking up on you! I'm lazily making some carbon prints today and watching too much NCAA basketball.

A carbon print paper on arches platine. 8x10 FP4. Lamar valley tree. Please Forgive the phone pic which turns it into a watercolor.

Another carbon print. 8x10 FP4. Slough creek YNP.

A three-color carbon transfer print printed with digital B&W negative separations, from hand made CMY carbon tissues. Image size is 7.5 X 11.5" on 12X19" support, single transfer in order Y-M-C on final support.

Original capture image from wall art in Oaxaca, Mexico.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Feline_Riderjpg.jpg  
    Last edited by sanking; 15-Apr-2017 at 20:55.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    A three-color carbon transfer print printed with digital B&W negative separations, from hand made CMY carbon tissues. Image size is 7.5 X 11.5" on 12X19" support, single transfer in order Y-M-C on final support.

Original capture image from wall art in Oaxaca, Mexico.

Sandy
    Nice Sandy

Thanks Bob,

I enjoyed looking at your new gum work. Do you have time to do much personal work?

Must admit that trying to print three color carbon for others would drive me mad!!

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Thanks Bob,

I enjoyed looking at your new gum work. Do you have time to do much personal work?

Must admit that trying to print three color carbon for others would drive me mad!!

Sandy
    Hi Sandy

I am getting my workflow settled quite nicely and can work on multiple images in one day, these last five days I have been working on Celebrity portraits with an
    assistant/partner from Vancouver, we have been able to go through quite a few images.

When printing for others , I have been lucky where the clients give me full reign on the projects which allows for much mistakes, and experimentation which is opening quite a few doors for me
    in relationship to paper , pigment , order of lay down negatives, and even the types of negatives I am producing.

I am preparing for a four person show of experimentation work of my own that will keep me busy printing over the summer so I do have time to work .. each day I am producing something so I do slip in my work with others and treat myself.

Here is more of my clients work

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jessup.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	163875
    Philip Jessup- Marshall Island digital capture.

Name:	Skip.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	163876
    Skip Dean - I phone

Name:	Juli.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	163877
    Juli Lyons- Andy Barrys Garden digital capture.