Page 44 of 59 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Alt-Process Prints from Digital Negatives or Positives

Re: Alt-Process Prints from Digital Negatives or Positives

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I would love to be able to work from such a negative from digital file!
    Hi Andrew

this show is coming to Vancouver in the fall, basically working out the details now.

Once I get the product secured from Ilford then I can offer negatives for those of you wanting to give it a trial and seeing if it works for your darkrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hi Andrew

this show is coming to Vancouver in the fall, basically working out the details now.

Once I get the product secured from Ilford then I can offer negatives for those of you wanting to give it a trial and seeing if it works for your darkrooms.

That's good news, Bob. Thanks!

I agree, this is very interesting Bob Carnie!

Your site link is broke right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I agree, this is very interesting Bob Carnie!

Your site link is broke right now.
    the paterson carnie site is going away Randy - www.alternativephotoservices.ca will be my new location, with film services coming over the course of the year

the paterson carnie site is going away Randy - www.alternativephotoservices.ca will be my new location, with film services coming over the course of the year
    Exciting news. I see your site is not ready yet.

Keep us informed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1597.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	162017

Same Problem showing itself... Cot 320 palladium - PVA sizing on top - blue gum layer- If I am fast I can hit these with the brush first two minutes and they mostly go away, I have seen this problem before, and its driving me nuts.... only new thing is the Paper itself, trying no palladium on Revere and Cot320 tommorow with only gum to see if I can Isolate.

Any thoughts would be helpful,,, did I say it was driving me nuts??

Could drops of water have hit the paper surface prior to any sensitizing, processing and whathaveyou? The problem seems similar to what I see in several papers sometimes, where the paper responds differently to processing in specific spots. I know when I have a sheet of paper and I drop water onto it in certain places, I can forget about even results with certain processes (e.g. albumen coating), as the water droplets interfere with the sizing of the paper and the damage is irreversible. Btw, not saying the problem necessarily occurs at your end; might as well happen somewhere in the manufacturing process, during storage or transport.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Could drops of water have hit the paper surface prior to any sensitizing, processing and whathaveyou? The problem seems similar to what I see in several papers sometimes, where the paper responds differently to processing in specific spots. I know when I have a sheet of paper and I drop water onto it in certain places, I can forget about even results with certain processes (e.g. albumen coating), as the water droplets interfere with the sizing of the paper and the damage is irreversible. Btw, not saying the problem necessarily occurs at your end; might as well happen somewhere in the manufacturing process, during storage or transport.
    I thought this as well but it would be something other people would see as well, I know that its not happening at this end.. OE or operator error does occur here but this would be on a level of scale I have never seen.
    Each print we did today had this problem 14 prints. Most we caught early and destroyed the ring before it stayed permanent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1597.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	162017

Same Problem showing itself... Cot 320 palladium - PVA sizing on top - blue gum layer- If I am fast I can hit these with the brush first two minutes and they mostly go away, I have seen this problem before, and its driving me nuts.... only new thing is the Paper itself, trying no palladium on Revere and Cot320 tommorow with only gum to see if I can Isolate.

Any thoughts would be helpful,,, did I say it was driving me nuts??
    Dang Bob, I thought you had this solved and that the problem was the platine batch you had been using? It's frustrating to see it show up to on cot320 as well. It looks identical to the platine spots from months ago. Is there no chance you grabbed some platine by mistake and thought it was cot320? A long shot I know

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Dang Bob, I thought you had this solved and that the problem was the platine batch you had been using? It's frustrating to see it show up to on cot320 as well. It looks identical to the platine spots from months ago. Is there no chance you grabbed some platine by mistake and thought it was cot320? A long shot I know
    Hi Erik

no mistake its Cot320- since I posted this I have thought about what the HELL and for some nagging reason I can isolate a few things, 1. it only happens on Gum Over Palladium, 2. could it be the water content, Toronto is a monster city and I am smack dab in the middle... I had problems years ago with Pyro Deveoloment and we tried manual inversion and problem went away and I am wondering if the mineral content is causing this.

I tried no PVA and PVA same problem, I tried processing face down and face up same issue.

What I am going to try next round is all Distilled water for every bath, Palladium run and Gum Runs to see if the water makes a difference- this is a long shot but I am thinking the water has been a problem in other wet process for me before.. 1. road ruts or minus density in Jobo film runs 2. scumming when Iron blue toning..

If this is indeed the problem then I will be looking for a system to distill large quantities of water . We did a weekend workshop recently and this problem showed itself, but the basic same
    workshop in Steve Shermans darkroom produced no black marks, same pigment gum ratios and technique.