Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone VI 8x10 Enlarger light tubes,... replacement

Zone VI 8x10 Enlarger light tubes,... replacement

Does anyone have information in regards to replacing the Variable Contrast light tubes in the Zone VI eight by ten enlarger head. My blue light tube is acting up and does not dim down in a uniform fashion when the reostat is turned down. I happened to have a second reostat and tried that, but the results were the same. I expect the blue light tube needs replacing. Any thoughts on the subject, or any ideas where one might be purchased. I might even condider buying a used head if one was available.

Photographer

Re: Zone VI 8x10 Enlarger light tubes,... replacement

I have one of the Z6 8x10 heads and have a concern about failure. My solution would be to look toward a conversion to a different light source. I would investigate converting to a LED light source. You can be almost assured that you will never have to replace the lamps again. I believe that the company Eric mentions in this post could convert your head: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic+biggerstaff Please post updates on your course of action. I (and maybe others) will be very interested in what you do. Also, there is a Zone VI enlarger group on APUG. You might want to post information there. Good luck.
    Keith Pitman

Hoping you get an answer as I also have the Zone VI head. And will obviously end up in the same situation eventually.

Look at modern enlarger lamps (http://www.modernenlargerlamps.com ). I exhausted just about every option to fit my 5x7 Zone VI enlarger with a VC head, even purchased a used head from ebay. I bought a VC head from Cemil at modern enlarger lamps. It works great. I had to make my own wooden bracket but, it was very simple to do. I don't know if Cemil has made 8x10 but I know he has produced 5 x7. Check with him, he is great to work with.

Alan,

This sounds interesting. Can you relay more of your experiences and specifics with the new lamps in your 5x7 VC head? Is it a Zone VI type 2 or type 1? How do you find the performance in terms of brightness, contrast range, and control?

Thank you,

George Pappas

George
    I have a type 1 Zone VI. Several years ago I purchased a used VC head for this enlarger, I didn't like it at all, way too dim and the contrast wasn't consistant. I switched back to my original cold light head. The lamp I got from Cemil is way brighter and very controllable. It is all controlled with an iphone, ipad or other such device. I just received it and finished the bracket so it operates just like the old Zone VI head. What I bought is the basic 4x5 3b VC Led lamp. I'm making my first prints with it this week, I'm sure there is a learning curve but, this looks like a great solution. Cemil didn't have a Zone VI enlarger to work with so he couldn't build the bracket to attach to my enlarger but, I was sure I could fabricate something to make it work and it was easy.
    This is the bracket.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bracket.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	111385
    The silver vertical piece on the lamp is original to the lamp, I just used a couple of wooden pieces to attach the lamp to the enlarger chassis.
    I know there are several other members of this forum that own models of this lamp. They have more experience using it that I do, at the moment.

Kevin Kolosky

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Curtis View Post
    George
    I have a type 1 Zone VI. Several years ago I purchased a used VC head for this enlarger, I didn't like it at all, way too dim and the contrast wasn't consistant. I switched back to my original cold light head. The lamp I got from Cemil is way brighter and very controllable. It is all controlled with an iphone, ipad or other such device. I just received it and finished the bracket so it operates just like the old Zone VI head. What I bought is the basic 4x5 3b VC Led lamp. I'm making my first prints with it this week, I'm sure there is a learning curve but, this looks like a great solution. Cemil didn't have a Zone VI enlarger to work with so he couldn't build the bracket to attach to my enlarger but, I was sure I could fabricate something to make it work and it was easy.
    This is the bracket.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bracket.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	111385
    The silver vertical piece on the lamp is original to the lamp, I just used a couple of wooden pieces to attach the lamp to the enlarger chassis.
    I know there are several other members of this forum that own models of this lamp. They have more experience using it that I do, at the moment.
    Very nice to see! I'd really like to get a model 3 5x7 head for my Zone Vi enlarger. More people need to twist Cemil's arm.

If you did get new lamps, who would replace them? (With Calumet being gone.) Has anyone tried to replace these lamps?

I have been using the modern enlarger lamp (4x5 VC) for about two months now. All I can say is that it is excellent. Very controllable with contrast and time, I adapted my Zone VI foot switch and it plugs into the unit.
    With Calumet gone so goes our lifetime warranty on Zone VI products.