Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power source for an electric packard shutter ?

Re: Power source for an electric packard shutter ?

Just put together a Rockwell system like the video describes.

I know you use a hat, some us want to wear our hats.

Obviously at least 3 of us are working on the same problem, so helpful advice is desired.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Just put together a Rockwell system like the video describes.

Randy,

If you have the skills to program a Basic Stamp or the equivalent and interface to a couple of solid state switches, I'd be surprised if you couldn't also put together the essential parts of the setup I use---the air cylinder, solenoids, and lever. I have since gone from a plastic syringe to a home-made glass cylinder with a graphite piston, but the original worked well enough. The rest of what you see in the picture I posted amounts to a finite-state machine implemented in industrial timing relays. I have a self-timer function, programmable open, delay and close intervals for the solenoids (to accommodate different size/vintage shutters) and both front- and rear-curtain sync. The most elementary micro controller could handle all of this in a walk.

Why make it so complex? Because I can, and it's FUN!

Exactly, some of us enjoy learning and doing. Since 90% of any photography I do is studio or indoors, I need to use lighting, old Sol is simply not there.

I am not a programmer, but I tend to learn enough of anything to do what I want. This BaoFeng radio in my hand is an example. I have had a Ham license for 5 years and finally bought a radio. It does need programming...

I work on my Pi and will get Ardino soon enough. They will do anything I need, shutter wise.

That Rockwell, is simply too antiquated for this old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold_4074 View Post
    Randy,

If you have the skills to program a Basic Stamp or the equivalent and interface to a couple of solid state switches, I'd be surprised if you couldn't also put together the essential parts of the setup I use---the air cylinder, solenoids, and lever. I have since gone from a plastic syringe to a home-made glass cylinder with a graphite piston, but the original worked well enough. The rest of what you see in the picture I posted amounts to a finite-state machine implemented in industrial timing relays. I have a self-timer function, programmable open, delay and close intervals for the solenoids (to accommodate different size/vintage shutters) and both front- and rear-curtain sync. The most elementary micro controller could handle all of this in a walk.

Why make it so complex? Because I can, and it's FUN!

Well I have tested the shutter with low voltage then I increase them and found that the shutter work just fine with 120 V Probably it is a 110 V one. Iwill see now how to make it work just a short time and add a flash possibility... I have asked on the Galerie-Photo forum, they also told me not to do stupid thing in order not to finish like Claude François...
    Thank you for your advice, Thierry M.L.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    What is your solution?
    You two need to watch the video I posted. It might give you some more ideas.