Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 14x17 camera film and holders

Re: 14x17 camera film and holders

Nick,

I don't know if you remember, but I bought a bunch for 14x17 Azo from you many years ago. I shot 14x17 for about 10 years. Mine was a early-1900's Anthony and Scoville. The camera itself weighed about 19 lbs. Total extension was about 30". It had front rise/fall/tilt and rear tilt and swing. It's now with a new owner in Jerusalem. Good luck in your search!

-Kerik
    www.kerik.com

And thanks for the kind words, Monty!

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    Well if the OP isn't a big enough Rock Star in the photographic community for you (if indeed its the same Nick Nixon that did the Brown Sisters and has a long and valued body of outstanding work, and I like Mark believe it is, and am happy to think he might contribute here) then these are all wonderful and inspiring photographers who have all done significant work with larger camera's often to produce incredible alternative process prints that prior to the advancements in digital negatives weren't possible without large in camera negatives;

Kerik Kouklis

Dick Arentz

Steve Sherman

Sandy King

Clay Harmon

Michael Mutmansky

Michael A. Smith

Patrick Alt

Alex Timmermans

Matt Magruder

Your definition of Rock Star may be quite different than mine of course,

Monty
    Thanks for the names, I looked through a fair amount of them, I know Clay Harmon, bought a Leica off of him some years back.

As I expected, some of the work had some more dynamic compositions than others, some were nothing more than glorified dead-center studies that we have seen in the thousands since the turn of the century, not my cuppa...

I'll take another look through and if I find the kind of socks-knocking-off composition I am talking about, I will provide a link.

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Ritter is lightest but Chamonix more precise and solid - it's a trade off. Bunch of 14x17 Chamonix being made now so you might get in on this production run if you reach out to Hugo.
    ...so relative concepts, precise/solid,
    both are well constructed, some would like engineering endless calculations, others just appreciate the making of a photograph using creative tools,
    Ritters cameras are for creative photographers use, to my taste and opinion, and light enough for my old arms ;-)
    that say, the assumption that "it's a trade off" doesn't mean much...is just an ordinary subjective value judgment.
    thanks

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I built my 14x17 a few years ago now and if I had to do it over I would use the Chamonix design. I built my 8x10 using the Phillips/Chamonix designs and made it my own with my adjustments. My 14x17 is more a studio camera but I pack it out in the field. Since I redesigned it I think it weights less. Maybe 26lbs? Has all of the movements you need and is very solid. I would buy a 14x17 Chamonix because the build quality is first rate and it is not that heavy at all. I've never used or seen one of Richards marvels so hard for me to compare. This is a great format for a contact/carbon printer such as myself. Good luck.

My bathroom scales say my empire state 14x17 is 13.7kg which translates to about 30 lbs.

Hello Kerik,
    Of course I remember you.
    Yes, this will be my second shot at 14x17. I also failed the first time with 11x14 but it has stuck the second time and is now my main camera. My new book Close Far is all 11x14.
    Sometimes older is better...I hope it is so with you as well.
    Best, Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nbbnixon View Post
    Hi Peter,
    Thanks for writing. My camera for years has been an 8x10 Deardorff, made lighter for me by both Jack Deardorff and Richard Ritter. So of course I am curious even though I suspect your price will be out of reach and the camera will weigh 40 lbs.
    Can you weigh it and tell me what you will sell it for please? is there any chance of a picture or two?
    Nick
    Hi Nick...cant weigh it here I am, but its a 14x11 chasis with a bespoke rear frame, with ground glass etc, so essentially, a fraction
    heavier than a 14x11. It has a rotating 14x11 reducer incorporated into a 14x17 board so will immediately accom. all reducers.
    I had it made specifically as a portrait camera, so the rear frame is actually portrait rather than square.
    Holders are by Sandy King out of Walnut.The are bits and pieces with it also. New to the forum so not sure about picture attachment protocol, so failing all else send me an address to forward same to.

Peter

are you selling the deardoff?
    Quote Originally Posted by drifty View Post
    Hi..I have a 14"x17" Deardorff ( only one on the planet .. so I am told ) it was made for me a while ago but I spend most
    of my time with the bigger process camera now...let me know if youre still looking.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by drifty View Post
    Hi Nick...cant weigh it here I am, but its a 14x11 chasis with a bespoke rear frame, with ground glass etc, so essentially, a fraction
    heavier than a 14x11. It has a rotating 14x11 reducer incorporated into a 14x17 board so will immediately accom. all reducers.
    I had it made specifically as a portrait camera, so the rear frame is actually portrait rather than square.
    Holders are by Sandy King out of Walnut.The are bits and pieces with it also. New to the forum so not sure about picture attachment protocol, so failing all else send me an address to forward same to.

Peter
    Yes Still for sale....

Peter