Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 14x17 camera film and holders

14x17 camera film and holders

Is anyone looking to sell a 14x17 camera? It has to be on the light side.
    Nick Nixon

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: 14x17 camera film and holders

Nick, a light 14x17? Try Chamonix.

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Jim is right. 14x17 Chamonix is definitely light weight and compact. It looks a tad bigger than most 11x14 that I have owned. You have to use Chamonix holder though .The dark slide is a highlight of their product. Carbon Fiber is smooth as silk . Their holder dimensions and thickness are not ANSI standard . That's why is made it so compact .

Quote Originally Posted by nbbnixon View Post
    Is anyone looking to sell a 14x17 camera? It has to be on the light side.
    Nick Nixon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Nick, a light 14x17? Try Chamonix.

why not Ritters, check:
    http://www.lg4mat.net/1417.html

14x17 camera film and holders

Ritter is lightest but Chamonix more precise and solid - it's a trade off. Bunch of 14x17 Chamonix being made now so you might get in on this production run if you reach out to Hugo.

Hi..I have a 14"x17" Deardorff ( only one on the planet .. so I am told ) it was made for me a while ago but I spend most
    of my time with the bigger process camera now...let me know if youre still looking.

Peter

A bit off topic....

When it comes to ULF and I am talking *strictly* in terms of having a stellar eye in the composition, who is the rock star of ULF? Who fills the frame with a mind blowing shot with incredible light, tone and above all else, a flat out killer composition?

At times I think of planning to someday obtain a camera the size that this thread is based on, but I have yet to be inspired by a single image I see from them, uber basic & pedestrian it would seem....

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    A bit off topic....

When it comes to ULF and I am talking *strictly* in terms of having a stellar eye in the composition, who is the rock star of ULF? Who fills the frame with a mind blowing shot with incredible light, tone and above all else, a flat out killer composition?

At times I think of planning to someday obtain a camera the size that this thread is based on, but I have yet to be inspired by a single image I see from them, uber basic & pedestrian it would seem....
    All good points. I think 14x17 appeals to me because of the cheap film (x-ray), ability to contact print a large image, and relative (in ULF terms) sweet spot for size and weight. The format is squarer than 4x5, 8x10, 16x20 which I like and because you have so much screen/film real estate you can decide how you want to crop as you go along. One option that I'm considering is getting a 14x17 holder that can also take 7x17 film. In any case, I have several panoramic MF cameras in 6x17 which are better suited to wide compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    All good points. I think 14x17 appeals to me because of the cheap film (x-ray), ability to contact print a large image, and relative (in ULF terms) sweet spot for size and weight. The format is squarer than 4x5, 8x10, 16x20 which I like and because you have so much screen/film real estate you can decide how you want to crop as you go along. One option that I'm considering is getting a 14x17 holder that can also take 7x17 film. In any case, I have several panoramic MF cameras in 6x17 which are better suited to wide compositions.
    That's cool, but who has a rock star eye for composition?