Thread: 14x17 camera film and holders

14x17 camera film and holders

Has anyone used the Chamonix? Also the holders? It seems like the lightest new one to buy.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: 14x17 camera film and holders

Nick, you can ask Tri Tran and Hugo Zhang about the 14x17 and 16x20 Chamonix. Hugo Rep's the company here in the states. He is a great guy. He can set you up.

I'm ordering the R.Ritter camera and four holders. It can do horizontal and vertical. Richard is a great guy and master camera builder. Extremely light.

In the desert...

Welcome to the 14 x 17 club!

Hi Jeffrey,

Where are you located? I'm in MA. Don't have a Ritter but he's doing some work on my vintage 11x14, which is almost complete. Would be curious to hear your impressions when you have the camera. Also curious, roughly, what's the estimated lead time until it's ready? Will you be getting any reducing backs (11x14, 7x17, hell, even 8x10), how much extension?

Thanks.

I have an 8x10 Ritter and a 4x5 Chamonix - they are very different beasts. The Ritter has basically little or no presets, extremely light, and fairly rigid considering because of the carbon fiber base. The back holds a film holder well but the wood is a little soft. The design of the 8x10 Ritter is very similar to the 14x17 - I expect it would be an excellent field camera and you would be more likely to take it out because of the easy set-up and light weight.

I haven't used a larger Chamonix but I suspect that the 14x17 would be more rigid, sturdy, and robust in the long run - a work of functional beauty. Truth be told I don't think you could go wrong with either.

My recently acquired 14x17 is a modified 8x10 monorail with a Ritter back - it looks to be a good studio camera - but really too ungainly for the field unless supported by a helper. I think in the long run if I grow to like the format I'll probably buy the Ritter or Chamonix - it would be a very hard choice.

I am in Los Angeles for the next few years then moving to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. No reducing backs for now. 43" bellows. Six months lead time because of the holders.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks, Jeffrey. Sounds good. Please keep us posted as to your progress!

Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Arthur View Post
    I am in Los Angeles for the next few years then moving to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. No reducing backs for now. 43" bellows. Six months lead time because of the holders.

Thanks for the info!
    You can probably get some inserts for the holders so that they can take 7x17 film - just a suggestion.