Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 75mm lens for 5x7?

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Re: 75mm lens for 5x7?

I occasionally use a 75mm f/4.5 SW-Nikkor on my 5x7". No movements to speak of of course, but it handles 5x7" with good corners at f22.
    I imagine you're asking because you only contact print/scan and really want the full neg for some reason, right?
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

I don't crop Carsten. It is just my thing, I don't like it. I forgot about the Nikkor... hmmm

The ideal solution would be the Schneider 72mm XL with a center filter.. Yes it does cover 5x7 / 13x18cm with a very tiny amount of movement. I have one, and have yet to use it much since new.

Been down the road of this focal length for 5x7 before trying Schneider, Rodenstock and Nikkor they all don't quite cover properly and should have a matching center filter to correct for the inherent light fall off.

Since cropping is not an option, the choice is to use the 72mm XL and ideally with the matching center filter.. and expensive solution but one that will meet your needs and expectations.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    I don't crop Carsten. It is just my thing, I don't like it. I forgot about the Nikkor... hmmm

Agreed, but it'll sure be a weird match for a cheap box that can't even focus

Hi Ramiro,

I used the Nikon NIKON-SW 75mm f4.5 @ f22 when shooting 5x7 and got some vignetting *when using movements*. If you do not use movements, or possibly stop down beyond f22, then this lens should cover 5x7. I would try the lens provided that you could return it if it does not work out for you.

Namaste
    Daniel

Of course no 75mm lens has more coverage then the Gorez Hypergon.

Another option, inexpensive, is a 90mm Extreme Wide Angle 12.5 Raptar. No need to modify the box, just add 15mm to the lens board.

That idea I like a lot. The 90mm Extreme Wide Angle is in my saved searches already.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Another option, inexpensive, is a 90mm Extreme Wide Angle 12.5 Raptar. No need to modify the box, just add 15mm to the lens board.

At last somebody has demonstrated an ability to think outside the box and suggest an elegant solution to the problem. Pun intended. Their was actually a commercially available 5x7 fixed focus box camera made by Burke and James utilizing a Series IIIa f12.5 EWA Wollensak lens. They however conservatively utilised the longer 4 and 5/16 inch version of the lens sold by Wollensak for use on 5x7 whilst allowing lots of movement.

I have one. Prompted by this thread I dug it out last night and tried unsuccessfully to coax the Betax 2 shutter the lens is mounted in to operate at more than one speed.

The OP has really rather boxed himself into a potentially expensive corner by trying to go quite so wide. I understand why. He had the lens, but that job really calls for a lens with an angular coverage of 115 degrees. As we have seen their are very few options at that focal length and all expensive.

Michael your simple but inspired solution opens up all sorts of other possibilities in terms of vintage and less expensive glass.These are still very wide. If you go a 1/4 of an inch longer to 82 mm a Cooke series VIIb or it's Dallmeyer equivalent will not quite cover but the lens design does not appear to mechanically vignette the image. They are 100 degree lenses really. They are however relatively inexpensive and if lucky can be had for the price of a good meal. At the same focal length a Watson Wide angle Holos will cover as it is a lens which covers an Angular field of 110 degrees. I do not have a 5x7 camera that will allow a lens that short to be focused so I can not say from experience it will cover but it's bigger brother at 4.6 inch (114mm) will cover 8x10 so it is likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post

Roger, I cannot thank you enough for all your insight. Both of your suggestions are what I was looking for.