Thread: block printing from large format negs/prints

block printing from large format negs/prints

Been playing with block printing,Shot this on 4x5 then printed on 11x14 FB,then shot the print on digital then had a laser shop make some blocks ,now im block printing with ink on water color paper.Im now waiting on 4 more blocks that will be 5X7 size. Kinda fun,maybe ill mount and mat these to be displayed next to the FB prints.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1].jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	111231 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2].jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	111232 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3].jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	111233 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4].jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	111234

Re: block printing from large format negs/prints

one more

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5].jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	111235

Can you tell me more about the laser shop part of it? I've been toying with doing photogravure but thinking it would be nice to outsource the etching part to a computer/laser and just do the printing part.

--Darin

Nice!

looks like fun!

Thanks yup its fun to do and im just learning to get the ink the right consistency and how to apply it and what pressure is needed for a good print. It took a couple of plates (changing the contrast and depth of the groves) and done on plastic, and wood but this rubber works best so one can adjust the shadows and highlights by how hard you push on the paper.Started as an experiment but its funner and has more possibility than i thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Nice!

looks like fun!

The shop is a few doors down from my studio,he does commercial concrete work in the summer so with his time in the winter he plays with his laser. Its a big machine flat bed type. He usually lasers granite and wood and tile for in-terrier and exterior home decors and monuments like gave stones.I suggest finding a monument shop in your area that does laser cutting as with prints with alot of detail there's a lot of trial and error to get the block right for a nice print.So you have to work closely with the laser guy.It took us 6 blocks(different materials and depths) to get 1 good block that prints out decently,what looks good on the block doesn't always work when printed.Its a fun project and just something different to do with photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Can you tell me more about the laser shop part of it? I've been toying with doing photographer but thinking it would be nice to outsource the etching part to a computer/laser and just do the printing part.

--Darin

I did linoleum block printing this evening. I used parchment paper to trace some stuff onto the block and carved it out with speedball block printing tools. I'm thinking it might be nice to carve some arts & crafts style borders at some point, because I'm such a pictorialism fan. I could also trace small prints and adapt to a lower level of detail. Getting the ink quantity right is indeed a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I did linoleum block printing this evening. I used parchment paper to trace some stuff onto the block and carved it out with speedball block printing tools. I'm thinking it might be nice to carve some arts & crafts style borders at some point, because I'm such a pictorialism fan. I could also trace small prints and adapt to a lower level of detail. Getting the ink quantity right is indeed a big deal.
    cool,yup i was thinking of trying to carve some blocks with the speedball tools. I would like to see some photos of your carvings.I cant draw/carve well but it would be fun to try.