Thread: Masking kit options

Masking kit options

Hi to all. I've been looking at masking techniques and equipment ( yes, I know that the hi-tech gear isn't needed if you want to use tape and eyeball the neg and mask) and wondered if anyone has real life user comments on the pin registration systems, precision neg carriers and other bits and pieces from both Ted Inglis and Lyn Radeka. Worth the time and money? Information worth getting hold of? Easy to use? Regards- Mike

Masking kit options

Check here:

Inglis Masking Kit Review on this site

I've not used the Inglis masking kit, but it looks pretty good. I own Lynn Radeka's kit, and it works very well with my Saunders enlarger. The nice thing about Lynn's kit is that you do not actually alter the negative with a punch; rather, you tape a narrow strip of (scrap) negative to it, and punch that.

Masking can take a while to learn, but the extra abilities gained from the kit are, in my opinion, worth the effort.

Beverly Hills, California

Masking kit options

Alistair Inglis system is professionally made. I have one.

I've only seen pictures of Lynn Radeka system and was entirely underwhelmed and unimpressed.

Masking kit options

I own Lynn Radeka's masking kit and carrier system. I must admit the quality of the carrier system is top notch! One of the many great things about it is that I can use it to make any kind of mask like shadow contrast increase masks and fog masks, and these are really amazing masks, and I never had a single registration problem at all. I heard that the Inglis system is OK for masks that can really be registered by eye, like unsharp masks, but the Radeka system is much more versatile and it doesn't need any locking knobs or levers. I also don't have to buy a separate printing contact frame for making masks with this system. I can see how all these masking techniques can get overwhelming but this system makes it all so very worthwhile and easy.

I'm probably a little late with this post but I thought I'd give it a shot if it helps anyone.

Re: Masking kit options

Years after the fact, but I have the Radeka kit for 4x5 and 8x10 and it is excellent. I looked into the Inglis because I have his negative washers and think they are great. But the Radeka system included the registration carrier for the enlarger which is the hard part. It is a complete system for making the masks and enlarging them. The kit also includes the most thorough documentation for making masks that I have seen.

For a nice video of Radeka's pin register printing frame/negative carrier, go to YouTube and do a search for "Radeka pin registration".

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post

I've only seen pictures of Lynn Radeka system and was entirely underwhelmed and unimpressed.
    I have seen one, used one and own one, and find it elegant and precise.

Drew Wiley

Once in awhile an orginal Condit masking and registration set comes up for sale. These
    are the best, period, if they're still in good shape. But expect to pay dearly.

Can these systems be used on a vacuum easel?

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Can these systems be used on a vacuum easel?

Asher
    I have the Radeka, not the Inglis. I have the 4x5 and 8x10.

The Radeka is designed for making masks and enlarging them. The Inglis is, I think, designed mostly for contact printing on the punch easel but he can make a custom registration carrier for your enlarger.

If you are interested in masking, which takes a lot of practice in my view (I am still working on it), a workshop with Lynn Radeka is well worth it.