Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Graphic View II

Graphic View II

Hi everyone. Sorry to keep bugging you all with questions, I just want to make the right decision when it comes to buying my first 4x5 camera.

A few days ago I asked about the Crown Graphic. Thank you all for your feedback. As I have actually used a 4x5 camera extensively in a studio environment (3 years of a Bachelor degree), I'm thinking that perhaps the Crown maybe a little basic for my needs. While on that topic, I better clearly state my needs! I'm after a 4x5 camera that I can use mostly in the field, and perhaps a small amount of studio work. Landscapes are my main priority, with the intention to shoot 6x17 eventually. I read Kerry's article in View Camera Magazine, and think I would like to try the Shen-Hao 6x17 back. It appeals because of the price (I have a limited budget to set myself up) and I like the fact that it can be used with any 4x5 camera with a Grifloc back.

As a photographer, I fully understand the importance of a good lens. It seems as though the 90mm/F8 Schneider Super Angulon is the best choice for my price range at the wide end of the spectrum, and it will apparently also work well with the 6x17 back, as it has good coverage and is reasonably sharp towards the edges and has average light drop-off. I'm not sure how you go when it comes to finding filters for this lens yet, such as a pola, centre ND, etc. Still have to research that part. Can anyone help??

I have found a Graphic View II camera with a Grafloc back and the above mentioned lens for sale as a package, so it all seems to fit the bill. Does anyone know much about this camera? Such as the widest lens (non-6x17 use) it will take, availability of lens boards, can you remove the bellows for a wide angle bag bellows etc.? Also, it seems to come with a sort of tripod head that clamps onto the monorail. How is this head attached to a tripod??

I know that a monorail system is not as user-friendly in the field, but I believe this is quite a compact system as far as monorail cameras go. It also has far greater movements than the Crown of course.

Would appreciate anyone's views.

Thanks, Travis.

Jim Ewins

Graphic View II

Don't get too hung up making the "right decision". Mistakes are for learning. Your needs and interests will change and so will your "ideal" camera (s). You may have observed that there are usually several orders of magnitude more answers than those giving them. Jim

Graphic View II

If you have not already done so, you should look at this article:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/graphic-view/

There are a couple of pictures on the page that make it obvious how the tripod adapter attaches to the monorail. I'm sure the bottom of the head has a tripod adapter built into it; you simply screw the tripod adapter onto the top of your tripod. The article also mentions that the shortest bellows extension is 3.5 inches.

I've never seen the camera personally, but it seems to use plain, square lensboards. These can be easily made out of hobby plywood, available at hobby and art supply shops. I am far from mechanically inclined...if I can figure out how to make a lensboard for a Cambo SC out of hobby plywood, I think almost anyone can figure out how to make a lensboard for almost any camera. (I haven't purchased a lensboard in quite a while; it takes me anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to knock out a wooden lensboard for my Shen-Hao, Cambo SC, or Calumet C1 cameras. Flat-black spray paint works well for finishing. The Dremel tool set I use cost about the same as one lensboard for either of my 8x10 cameras, and has more than paid for itself in savings on lensboards.)

Graphic View II

Hi, I have used the Graphic View (prior version of same camera) and can say it is not very good for use with a 90mm lens. The bellows are too stiff for good movements when they are compressed all the way and not removable. The clamp mount just screws into the tripod head in the normal way. Of course then you have a redundant, heavy tilt handle.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Graphic View II

Travis, I handled a graphic view ii in a camera store, and I was not impressed. You may want to look at an older cambo, which have removeable bellows and many accesories available. But really look at lightweight field camera like a tachihara or shen hao would not be too much more expensive.

Graphic View II

An important cosideration with the Graphic View II is the condition of the rather delicate focusing parts. Many will not focus smoothly over the full range. Sometimes the problem is correctible, sometimes new parts, probably unobtainable, would be required.

The tripod head atttaches to a tripod by a 1/4" - 20 screw.

multiplex

Graphic View II

hi travis

i had and used a red-bellows graphic view II for close to 12 years, and really liked the camera. it is rugged, sometimes they come with a fiber box if the one you are looking at has one, you should have no problems lugging it around ( if it doesn't, they are pretty easy to come by). mine was from the army signal corps and had compartments for 12 film holders; cutouts for filters in the top-foam; and a compartment ( that snapped shut ) for 2 lenses on lensboards. the camera went upside down and the rail rested in v-cuts in the center. it was very well designed, and i wish someone made something like that box today, i would rather use IT than the tenba case i currently use.

one thing to think about is that the widest lens you will be able to use with the graphic view II is a 90mm lens. you will need to find a recessed lensboard ( or make one yourself ) if you go the buy-one-route, they can be hard to find, or command more than $50 for one used. the bellows are fixed, so you won't be able to use a bag-bellows with this camera if you wanted to use a wider lens. with the 90mm and recessed board, you are pretty squished, but you will still be able to get movements without too much of a problem. i used a 90mm raptar, a wollensak 3" "EXWA" and a 90mm super angulon and was able to get enough movement document a quarry ( from 300 feet up atop its rim - looking down ). the camera was able to use a 210/370 symmar with enough extension.

from what i remember the problem that often happened with my camera was the standards' lock-down sometimes did not allow them to slide freely on the rail. you can either loosen the knobs and push/pull the standards on the rail, or you could pull the knob out ( there is a spring in there ), and it released the standard to move back/forth. sometimes the metal sleeve would move a little bit without the rest of the mechanism.

the compendium is pretty hard to find - i looked for years and eventually gave up.

its a nice camera, and if you don't see yourself needing something new/modern that can use a super-wide angle lens ( read: something wider than 90mm ), or a loner lens ... you'll probably be happy with it.

Graphic View II

I have a Graphic View II that has been in it's case for at least the last 12 months. I really liked the camera and it has some nice features such as axial tilt. The only thing I really use it for now is macro type work in the studio (actually my kitchen). The camera is too bulky to realy hike with. I did it for over a year, but it was not fun. I think this would be the same for any monorail. I had no major problems using the Super Angulon 90mm on the camera, but the bellows does get really bunched up. I have a couple of recessed lensboards for the camera that I never got a chance to use because my SA came with a 00 shutter (something you should check). The tripod head the camera comes with is worthless in my opinion. I bought a machined aluminum clamp online (pacnet?) and it made the whole setup solid. Since I bought my Shen-Hao I have not really found much use for the GV.

Graphic View II

If landscapes are your priority then I would advise against the GVII. My first 4x5 camera was a GVII. It is a nice solid camera, but a real pain to hike around with. It really doesn't detach from the rail & fit in a backpack like other monorails. You'll have to carry it around in the enormous case or, like I did, attached to the tripod & slung over your shoulder. For studio work, or working close to your car it would be great.

Octogenarian

Graphic View II

Hi Travis,

Since you mention that you would like to try the Shen Hao 6X17 roll film back, eventually. Why not purchase a new 4X5 Shen Hao to begin with? You can always add the 6X17 back when you are ready, and you can rest assured, knowing that the camera and the back will be compatible.

Jim, at Midwest Photo Exchange has The 4X5 Shen Hao in stock, as well as a large selection of new, and previously owned lenses. I'm certain that he will be able to offer you a package deal on a camera and lens combination that will fit your budget (jim@mpex.com).