Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post YOUR Red Dot Artar Pics

Re: Post YOUR Red Dot Artar Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Not much difference per decade of actual mfg. But unlike most process lenses, artars were routinely available in regular shutters far view camera use. Most of the
    extant ones are Goerz, but some of the later ones were marketed by Schneider minus the red dot designation (Apo Artar as I recall).
    So essentially it's a process lens with a shutter? Is the optical quality better for scenic images than a normal process lens because it was made for view cameras?

I have three single-coated Kodak Copying Ektanons (17", 19 3/4", 21 1/4") that are very sharp process lenses. Are the RDAs significantly different? Not looking to switch, just curious.

Jonathan

If you like the flavor of dialyte lenses, you'll love this: http://www.nestle.co.za/brands/icecream/tubs/dialite

renes

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    yes, yet again Mr Galli inspires others to shoot with lenses that he owns

sadly, I sold my RDA a couple of years back

andrew

Hope to see more shoots here with Artars. Especially colour landscape.
    I still remember a beautiful image of California landscape printed in "Using the View Camera" and taken by Morley Baer with Goerz Artar, and smoothness across tonal scale was beautiful, almost pictorial. Than I have decided to buy in the future Artar for colour... and this day has come now, I bought two RDA - 6" and 8 1/4", hope to shoot with them this summer.

BTW, I still look for 4" RDA in shutter, if you have one, PM

Great thread!

Drew Wiley

Allegedly. Then multicoated under Schneider label.

This was much of a marketing thing like Gold Dot Dagors, Gold Rim Dagors and...

I have a sizable collection of Artars from 4" to 35" in shutter and barrel. There some have serial numbers in the 75x, zyx and are coated. There is a common belief only Red Dot Artars with serial numbers 78x,lol... are coated. Over the years of shopping and owning them, this has not proven to be true. It has been mixed.

The Artar and Goerz Magnar lenses cured my (and many others bitten by the photo bug) need for a SHARP lens.. They were indeed very, very "sharp" with lots of resolution as proven by examination of color transparencies using a high quality microscope.. This entire exercise proved to be more photo-techno-masterbation exercise that did little if anything at all to improve actual expressive ability of the images made.

Artar, Dagor, and what ever else optic is a mere tool used as part of the image making process. The optic/lens alone will never be the magic image creation widget that will turn the neophyte image maker into a truly expressive image making artist.

RDA's do remain as one of my all time fave optics for images that require longer than normal focal length, smaller f-stops (f16 and smaller), modest contrast rendition, accurate color rendition, and high resolution. They are not for everyone, much like food or ...

Bring on the images made using the Artar..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    I thought the red dot meant it was coated?

I believe I used a 19" RDA on this one. Portra 160NC, 8x10 shot in 2011(I'm going from memory here, I'm really bad at notes )

(please excuse color cast at top of frame, I scanned this when it was still in the negative sleeve)

I shot this one at the same place as the ^above^ shot, but with the 4x5 back on the Calumet C1. Same lens
    EPN Readyload(gosh I miss this film, really a "WYSIWYG" film!)

-Dan

Hi Bernice,

I've had a number of longer Artars over the years including some LD Artars. I currently have a 19 & 24 in Copal. I've never been able to find a 6" Magnar II. Any chance you have a photo of oneyou could post? Also, how did you come upon yours and do you have any suggestions on how to locate one? Pls PM me if possible. L

Some years ago, I wandered into Calument in San Francisco (some time in the 1990's) and had a look into their consignment display. There were several Goerz Dagors and Artars and a 210mm Kowa and Schneider SA and... Turns out this group of lenses were owned and used by Morely Baer. They were put on consignment by his estate with a price tag. At that time, I already had these Gorez lenses but the 210mm Kowa interested me and made the purchase. Turns out it covers 8x10, small and nice in many ways.

Many of the color images Morely made of California landscapes for his book "Wilder Shore" was made using Kodak Ektachrome slightly over exposed and under developed to produce that low contrast effect.. He was known best initially for his work on the book "Painted Ladies". A book about restored Victorian homes in San Francisco..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by renes View Post
    Hope to see more shoots here with Artars. Especially colour landscape.
    I still remember a beautiful image of California landscape printed in "Using the View Camera" and taken by Morley Baer with Goerz Artar, and smoothness across tonal scale was beautiful, almost pictorial. Than I have decided to buy in the future Artar for colour... and this day has come now, I bought two RDA - 6" and 8 1/4", hope to shoot with them this summer.

BTW, I still look for 4" RDA in shutter, if you have one, PM

Great thread!