Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Prints from Digital Negatives and Positives

Alternative Prints from Digital Negatives and Positives

Digital negatives have become an important part in the workflow of a lot of alternative process printers.
    One can print larger images than the 5x7, 8x10 or even 6x7 negative.
    One can clean up the image before printing. One can use digital images.
    I think it has done a lot to resurrect the interest in the alternative processes.
    So, what about a thread dedicated to alternative prints where the negative or positive was generated digitally?
    Would it be fitting for this forum?

Re: Alternative Prints from Digital Negatives and Positives

No!
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    No!
    Pete
    short - but (not so) sweet...

nana - when saying NO I think it is because it opens up a can of worms regarding what is LF photography... there has been some rather heated discussions on this before...

I sometimes use transperancies - but why not use big linefilm? Much better quality (I fear I have to duck now..)

EDIT: there is a thread cakked digital something... why not there? Or in the lounge?

It would seem that if the original was LF then any derivative thereafter would be OK. Many examples of such already here.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

There is a technique called cliche verre that was popular in the 19th century where a drawing on glass could be contact printed onto a photographically sensitive surface. I think the modern version where a drawing representing a photograph is deposited on transparent film by a digitally controlled machine rather than by hand is essentially the same thing. The original cliche verre technique was most used when pictorial effects were desired that could not be achieved by direct photography. The modern digital version is driven by the same impulse, I think.

An extension of the idea would be to write a digital file directly to an "alternative" substrate, sensitised cyanotype or platinotype paper for example, without going through an intermediate digital negative. Something like a UV capable Lambda printer could in theory do it.

I reckon none of this stuff offers a credible or trustworthy way of making pictures that reflect the reasons photography was invented and practiced. I'd rather not see digital confections in this forum.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

catching the light should be by a (nostalgic) large format camera, thereafter digi cannot be eliminated imo or you go not to this forum
    think of the many posts, where people show scans of negatives ("aaahhh, the great blacks!!!") and do not tell on which paper they print (none?).

ATTENTION! This is a digital scan!

of a photogravure
    using epson V 750 pro from a 30x40cm somerset antique paper supporting a 8x10 inch print by a hevy duty etching press using Gamblin bone black ink gravure using Talbot Klic-method basing upon a 8x10 inch Ilford HP5 negativ illuminated by Voigtländer Braunschweig lens with selfmade waterhouse stop (f=8??) baseballcap shutter under natural twillight develloped HC 110 dil B zero degree outside, devellopper 26-15 degree Celsius, fixed by I dont remember what, never washed, dryed over wood fire oven scanned above mentioned device dusted out with photoshop tools tone curve corrected following Lothar Osterburg suggestion printed Epson stylus Pro 3880 on Pictorio OHP cutted to size by my wife Caro pigment paper illuminated by snake-UV- lamp in B§S contact frame copper plate 1.5 mm with asphalt aquatinta, lot of digits, more questions?

Good thread idea by the way!
    Hendrik

Alternative Prints from Digital Negatives and Positives

Quote Originally Posted by ndg View Post
    Would it be fitting for this forum?
    With respect: It might be fitting, but not for me. I cannot dim my brain enough to see such prints as marginally as good as analog prints on silver paper.

I wonder if our popular, mediated expectations of Quality have been diminished due to the low resolution of the Internet .

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I cannot dim my brain enough to see such prints as marginally as good as analog prints on silver paper.
    I'm interested! I'm probably dim, but I think this is a good idea for a thread!

Love the image!

Quote Originally Posted by hendrik faure View Post
    catching the light should be by a (nostalgic) large format camera, thereafter digi cannot be eliminated imo or you go not to this forum
    think of the many posts, where people show scans of negatives ("aaahhh, the great blacks!!!") and do not tell on which paper they print (none?).

ATTENTION! This is a digital scan!

of a photogravure
    using epson V 750 pro from a 30x40cm somerset antique paper supporting a 8x10 inch print by a hevy duty etching press using Gamblin bone black ink gravure using Talbot Klic-method basing upon a 8x10 inch Ilford HP5 negativ illuminated by Voigtländer Braunschweig lens with selfmade waterhouse stop (f=8??) baseballcap shutter under natural twillight develloped HC 110 dil B zero degree outside, devellopper 26-15 degree Celsius, fixed by I dont remember what, never washed, dryed over wood fire oven scanned above mentioned device dusted out with photoshop tools tone curve corrected following Lothar Osterburg suggestion printed Epson stylus Pro 3880 on Pictorio OHP cutted to size by my wife Caro pigment paper illuminated by snake-UV- lamp in B§S contact frame copper plate 1.5 mm with asphalt aquatinta, lot of digits, more questions?

Good thread idea by the way!
    Hendrik

BTW, I think your color negative images are great. Keep it up and post your workflow sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkillmer View Post
    I'm interested! I'm probably dim, but I think this is a good idea for a thread!