Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Publishing in photo magazines: Would you do it for fame?

Publishing in photo magazines: Would you do it for fame?

Mark, well I guess I had other reasons that I can't really explain. I sometimes take moves that are crazy and sometimes stay in retreat when everyone pushes me forward. Maybe success and career prospects have not much grip on me, not any more. Photography is for me more like a love story and images like my daughters... (I only have boys otherwise!). I guess I could be a bit overprotective at times... But this has in fact nothing to do with the context. It's not because a magazine publishes only landscape images that I would feel more confident than with one where occasionally à pair of boobs might jump from a page and seduce me. I have had people use my images, crop them, change colors to turn them abstract, place advertising slogans on them, use them as a background for bringing forward their own product. I'm not angry at them, they did their creative job and they paid me for that. But this leaves me unfulfilled and now, when someone is proposing a partnership but I feel it's to use the impact of my images to draw attention on them, I just pass my way. I know I could be missing opportunities, probably. But I feel I should better stay myself and not try be someone else and end up as a buffoon. Am I wrong? Maybe...

Sounds like a case of "To thine own self be true", Paul.

Absolutely, Al. ...Relatively speaking, reminds me of some stories of painters who starved to death or died in a state of utter destitution to produce works that were bought from them for a slice of bread and are now sold for millions by investors and collectors... At least they were true to themselves. Why is life so injust to the artists said Calimero?

Beverly Hills, California

"But then I realized that the magazine was fashion and glamour orientated."

Hmmm...