Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi from Torquay, UK

Re: Hi from Torquay, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    Hello 'mr greenbank'

Pete is of course, spot on, in what he's said, and stick to what you're happy with......................maybe look at the older stuff when you're 'down the track' etc etc

you may need another lens, say, somewhere is the middle of what you already have, a 135mm would be a decent alternative

good luck and best - plenty of guys/gals on here who readily step up to the plate to help

best

andrew
    Thanks for the good words, Andrew.

My initial lens selection was based on my 35mm habits - using a 24mm and 50mm for much of the time, plus a 135mm and 200mm occasionally - so I figured I should start off with a wide-ish wide-angle and a standard (yeah, I know 150mm is officially "standard" for 5x4, but the Fujinon 180 was available at a good price at the right time). I have a lot to learn - well, everything to learn - about the handling of perspective and "look" in LF, so it will be a while before I consider any more lenses. However, my thinking at this stage is actually biased more towards the possibility of longer lenses for that sense of flatness in a distant landscape, which is a look I sometimes enjoy in a picture. Certainly a 135mm is something to consider; I've been surprised to find that so many LF photographers have an extensive and comparatively "close" series of lenses, and they must be doing this for a good reason!

As to this forum - yes, I'm delighted to see that there really is a strong and supportive community out there, all over the world, whose members are always ready with advice and support. Really great.

Re: Hi from Torquay, UK

thanks 'mr greenbank'

yes, we're all here to help anyone whether old or new to this Forum

it's also a great source of different photographic attitudes, any time spent looking at the 'images section' is useful even for those who are pretty experienced in this - fwiw, I 'honed' my initial interests in View Cameras on what appeared bi monthly in Steve Simmons' 'View Camera' magazine during the late 1990's - back then we didn't have this little asset known as the web, so stuff like this was comparatively very difficult to obtain

initially, you will probably find using a LF Camera pretty frustrating, plenty have tried and given up, I believe, it's not an easy tool to initially understand but on the other hand it can be an amazingly beautiful one too, after some time 'seeing back to front and upside down' it becomes like looking at anything else, a normal view etc etc

good luck and pm me if I can help, I'm also very happy to have a phone chat too

regards

andrew