Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Torquay, UK

Hi from Torquay, UK

Hello to the LF world. I've been taking pictures in SF (small format - 35mm) for a long time, and more recently in MF (Mamiya RB67) too. Now retired, I have indulged myself (my credit card hates me!) with a long-desired move up to LF with an Omega 45C (4x5) monorail, Fujinon 90mm and 180mm lenses, and various add-ons like a bag bellows and some film-holders. All from Keh Camera in the US - a really helpful bunch, but their website should carry a Surgeon-General's warning about its addictive properties!

No film exposed yet, though. Since I don't have a vehicle, I'm working on a back-packing system to get the gear out and about; and the recent series of winter storms has kept me indoors. But spring is on the way, so interesting times await. Meanwhile, I'm learning my way around the camera and the LF way of working.

I have to say that already this forum has been a great part of the learning experience, with so much knowledge and experience available from just a few taps of the keyboard. Thanks a bunch, guys!

Re: Hi from Torquay, UK

Welcome. And do give my regards to Sybil and Basil!

Welcome,
    LF dosn't have to be that expensive. Read up about lenses and really cheap stuff is out there. I recently bought a 7 1/2 inch Bauch and Lomb lens (it was described as Kodak as it was in a Kodak shutter) for £2.99. There is an un shuttered Carl Zeiss Jena 210mm lens on the UK bay at the moment, looks tatty but it's probably about 90 years old. I had a 13 inch projection lens for a tenner recently as well. Once you've got 2 or 3 reliable shuttered lenses start playing. Antique fairs and shops somtimes have old lenses going cheaply. Keep your eyes open. If you can mount the thing the meniscus lens from a clapped out Kodak box camery will cover 4x5 close up and gives great colours, not necessarily accurate but fun.
    Pete.

"Whatever you do, don't mention the war!" Cheers and welcome, Basil... er, I mean greenback!

I'm just up the road so if you need a hand with anything give me a shout, only been doing LF myself for a couple of years but I might be able to help you avoid some of the mistakes I made early on. I might also have the odd book that may be helpful.

I did mention the war by accident, but I think I got away with it.

Thanks for the welcome, Andrew - and I'm delighted to find that a British comedy classic has made it as far as BC!

Another county heard from! So Basil's fame has spread as far as Maine too - I'm impressed, Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Welcome,
    LF dosn't have to be that expensive. Read up about lenses and really cheap stuff is out there. Pete.
    Hi, Pete, and thanks for the advice. (Now he tells me!) No, actually I've read quite a lot, particularly on this forum, about adventures with older lenses and cameras - and to be frank, I'm not that adventurous, or that technically-minded (and not at all good with my hands). The stories of people building their own cameras, and the pictures of the beautiful results, get my admiration - but not my desire to emulate them. The same goes for rebuilding or refurbishing old lenses. I simply couldn't do it; six decades on, I know my limitations.

Before I retired I worked out a budget, and I've stuck to it so far - and the major expense (hardware) is behind me now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    I'm just up the road so if you need a hand with anything give me a shout, only been doing LF myself for a couple of years but I might be able to help you avoid some of the mistakes I made early on. I might also have the odd book that may be helpful.
    Thanks, Ed. Actually I'm pretty well off for books (Simmons, Adams, the Kodak book, plus more general titles). In another life I was a librarian, so I've always had the habit of reading up on a subject I'm interested in right at the start. And forums like this are also brilliant in providing advice and information on more topics than I had imagined possible - including beginners' mistakes!

The thing now is to buy some film, and get out there and do it. However, if you can think of any particular mistakes I'm likely to make, I'm happy to listen and learn.

Hello 'mr greenbank'

Pete is of course, spot on, in what he's said, and stick to what you're happy with......................maybe look at the older stuff when you're 'down the track' etc etc

you may need another lens, say, somewhere is the middle of what you already have, a 135mm would be a decent alternative

good luck and best - plenty of guys/gals on here who readily step up to the plate to help

best

andrew