Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I acquired this large format camera some years ago. Exactly what model is it ?

I acquired this large format camera some years ago. Exactly what model is it ?

Hey all,

Here is the album of the camera.
    A couple of years ago I got this large format camera. It's from the sinar brand but I am not sure what model it is. From looking at the sinar website I would guess it is the sinar p2 but since I don't know when the people that lend me the camera purchased it I am not sure. Does anyone have an idea?

I have used technical camera's before when I studied photography but it's been a while...I have a film holder, a cable release, some fujichrome provia 100F (daylight ISO 100) film (colour). I don't have a light meter though which I guess I should have ? (I want to use the camera to shoot an indoor portrait with natural light coming through a sidewindow. I do have a grey card)
    I also forgot how I should load my film in the holder and how I should load the holder in the back of the camera (don't want to damage it). If someone could give me some advice that would be great!

Thank you in advance,

A.

Re: I acquired this large format camera some years ago. Exactly what model is it ?

There are videos on the web on how to load a holder. Just google. Before you load the film in your holder, practice loading the holder in the camera.

Meter the subject (you can use an SLR if you don't have a meter) and note the shutter speed for the f stop of your lens wide open. Since you are shooting a portrait you will want to be wide open, probably, and focus on the sitters near eyeball. Set the f stop (aperture) wide open, set the shutter speed, cock the shutter, and then open the lens (there will be a sliding switch on the side of the lens that will open it so you can see through it). Focus the camera on a subject by moving the standards or turning the focusing knob. Hold your holder on the darkslide end, pull the ground glass back, and slide the holder in until it is firmly seated. Close the lens. Pull the dark slide closest the lens to reveal the film. When you and the sitter are ready, trip the shutter, then reinsert the darkslide with the dark tab out (to indicate exposed), and you can pull the holder out and compose your next shot.

Easiest is to find an LF friend in the neighbourhood to walk you through it.

Re: I acquired this large format camera some years ago. Exactly what model is it ?

You could read the opening page of this site.... it's helpful.... "How to get started in large format photography"..... Sorry, don't know the model, but wish I had one.... Good luck and welcome.

This is a nice P2 with a nice lens, and a nice tripod.
    Always remember to load film with notches on:
    Upper right (or lower left) go shoot!

Yes it's a Sinar P2. I had a P1 that was a great monorail, you can't go wrong with such a camera.
    With chromes it would be a nice idea to have a lightmeter.
    Have fun with it!

[QUOTE=koh303;1112809
    Always remember to load film with notches on:
    Upper right (or lower left) go shoot![/QUOTE]

I guess that's the vertical orientation? When I load, I load from left to right, and the notches are under the tip of my pushing index finger, which means upper left.

The notches need to be on the upper right or lower left corner of the holder regardless of orientation.

A very detailed page on both standard film holders and Grafmatics:

http://photo-otaku.com/loading-4x5-sheet-film-holders/

Len

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    The notches need to be on the upper right or lower left corner of the holder regardless of orientation.
    I definitely disagree with this statement. Orientation certainly does matter. If the holder is horizontal with the flap to the left, slide to the right, the notch is on the left, at the top. If you put it on the bottom of the left side, as you suggest, the emulsion will be down. If this is wrong, it's been working for me for 55 years.

@ koh303&@Camillou: Thanks for the confirmation on the model. Glad to hear it's good material I have, I will defenitely have fun with it :-D