Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Printer recommendation

Re: Printer recommendation

I think I am leaning towards to epson 3800, just want to ask if this could also be used for normal document printing just want to avoid getting another for my home office, and my daughters school project requirements.

These photo printers all will print office and student papers, but I highly recommend an all in one Laser B&W printer for those jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffay View Post
    I think I am leaning towards to epson 3800, just want to ask if this could also be used for normal document printing just want to avoid getting another for my home office, and my daughters school project requirements.

Raffay, printing color only using a Epson 3880, on average I can get about 150 8 X 10 prints out of a set of K9, 110 ml., ink cartridges. Light black seems to usually run out first for my work while almost half of some colors are left. So in effect that really reduces the cost for a color print to perhaps as little as half of the US $3.33 below.

So that's about US $3.33 per 8 X 10 in color. Obviously all B&W would be less expensive but I'm guessing still about US $1.00 per sheet. Way too expensive for schoolwork. Note that in the US a 3880 would cost about US $1000.00 new and a set of 9 color inks would run perhaps US $500.00. Not the kind of printer you would use for school work.

For everyday office type printing I use an HP Deskjet 4200 with Vivera highly archival color inks, (three inks per cartridge) and one dedicated B&W cartridge. Somewhat ink limited compared to the Epson K9 set but it can make pretty decent color images. I would not try to get fine quality B&W prints out of it, but it is dandy for B&W line copy on el cheapo inkjet paper. My 4200 is now about 8 years old and has never failed either mechanically or ink wise. As Kirk mentioned the HP support is poor and the software is often poorer; although I believe the software has gotten better from a user friendly and reliability point of view.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I think I miss communicated, mostly I would use this for photography but an occasional office or school work print I was referring to.

The only real choice in a small printer is a 3880. Famous for being trouble free. Comes with a full set of ink carts (much larger carts than the cheap printers come with). In the USA at least they are always on one rebate or another. If the price is too much look for a used 3880 or 3800 (almost the same printer).

--Darin

I use a cheap laser printer for economical B&W text printing. It is less expensive than ink jet, but not very good for photographs. The toner cartridges can be refilled for even more economy.

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    The only real choice in a small printer is a 3880. Famous for being trouble free. Comes with a full set of ink carts (much larger carts than the cheap printers come with). In the USA at least they are always on one rebate or another. If the price is too much look for a used 3880 or 3800 (almost the same printer).

--Darin
    Sorry but I can't let that statement pass without comment. The 3880 is NOT famous for being trouble free. I had pizza wheel issues with mine and if you google you will find that I am not alone. You may have this problem, you may not. You might be ok with matte papers or not. The tricks for getting around the issue may work for you, they may not. I will say that I loved my 3880 and I will most likely be buying another in the next month but you need to be aware of this issue going in to a $1000 purchase. I'm just saying do a bit of research of the pizza wheel issue so you're aware going in. And opt for the extended warranty before the initial 1 year expires.

My 2 cents from my experience and research.