Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Film Holder Coding - Notching, Drilling, or Whatever ...

Re: Film Holder Coding - Notching, Drilling, or Whatever ...

A related question. I noticed that the exterior cloth tape on a couple holders has worn off at the ends exposing the joint in the hing. What is the likely hood that it will fog the film? Can that tape be replaced? With what?
    Will not fog. Gaffer's tape is good for replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    The newest Riteway holders (with the automatic slide lock) have a pair of transparent disks on each side that imprint numbers outside the image edge.
    Each disk has numbers 0 through 9.
    I ended up tearing those little disks out, as they were always turning on their own, changing the numbers I set. The digits were hard to read on most of my negs, too. Ended up filing those holders, like the rest.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    I ended up tearing those little disks out, as they were always turning on their own, changing the numbers I set. The digits were hard to read on most of my negs, too.
    Individual experiences differ.

I've shot many many hundreds of sheets in those Riteway holders and never had an issue.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    An interesting thread. I'd like to know how you mark the outsides of the holders so at a glance you can know which one needs extra development for example. ... I keep field notes on the phone but I need a way to mark the holders so I know which number gets special treatment. ...
    No, you don't need a way to mark the holders other than simply writing a number in the space provided.
    Usually there is an inset with a white background. Just write your holder number there (if there is no field, then use a small sticker with the number written on it). Then, when you keep your good field notes, indicate which number holder needs special treatment. Null Problemo!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    ... A related question. I noticed that the exterior cloth tape on a couple holders has worn off at the ends exposing the joint in the hing. What is the likely hood that it will fog the film? Can that tape be replaced? With what?
    Book-binding tape works better than gaffer's tape, which dries up and leaves residue. Don't worry about light leaks; if the flap is closed, it is light tight. The dark slide holds it closed. The tape is just a hinge.

Best,

Doremus

Doremus,

The film holders don't have a spot for writing the numbers because I made them. I'm looking for an elegant solution to mark the outsides. I have silkscreen ink, maybe I'll screen a small white square on and then I can write numbers there. I would do only one side, that would contain the number of the holder and be considered side "A".

As far as hinging tape or book-binding tape goes I did a search and Print File sells black linen tape. Is this the same thing? Right now I put gaffer's tape on but I'd like to change it to something better for the long run.

This is great hinge tape- http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catal...roductID=21116. I haven't had to replace it, even after 7 years of heavy use. Doesn't fray or get all stretched out.

For a memo strip, I tried using a Dymo printed strip with the holder number (and a bunch of extra spaces so it would print out longer for notes), but it's not very durable and the adhesive is so tacky it ends up pulling the wood fibers up on removal. And it's too glossy to write on with a pencil. I also tried some special dry-erase strips, but you have to use a special pen so that didn't seem too practical. I found some nylon V-profile weather-stripping that has an adhesive strip on one side. Once the V fold is cut away it's a decent dry-erase surface, at least for a pencil. Haven't tried ink on it. http://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-P.../dp/B000CSGEIC