Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Notice Death Valley 2/21 - 2/23

Re: Short Notice Death Valley 2/21 - 2/23

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I am leaving Eureka on the 22nd and heading to DV via Eureka Valley Dunes (they make the other DV dunes seem like a kid's sandbox)
    I haven't been out there in years, but have a series of very nice MF prints from several trips in the early century. I would say that the Dunes are a much more interesting place than DV proper, a true sandbox for creative photographers to play in. Shhh! – don't tell anybody. Have a great time.

Drew Wiley

You can really get sandblasted out that way in March, literally. Rough on gear too. I narrowly missed a massive flashflood there once ... was safely across the draw
    in enough time to pull over and watch the road being washed out behind me; but anyone actually caught in it would have probably been killed.

You can really get sandblasted out that way in March, literally. Rough on gear too. I narrowly missed a massive flashflood there once ... was safely across the draw
    in enough time to pull over and watch the road being washed out behind me; but anyone actually caught in it would have probably been killed.
    Well, lets hope all is well when I'm there late March.

I used to hear stories all the time of workshop LF'ers who were still cleaning sand out of their cameras for months afterward. Eureka Dunes can be a Black Rock Desert, the week before Labor Day, kind of place for camera abuse. I don't know how you could even use a bellowed view camera out there in anything more than a slight breeze. Bring an umbrella or a wife (or both!) to block wind. Oh no wait a minute. Don't go. It's no fun and you'll be killed.

I have shot quite a bit in the dunes in southern Saskatchewan. Quite windy there, with lots of blowing sand. The wind was quite manageable at sunrise and sunset though. I have to admit though, I'm not a landscape photographer. I'm more into architecture. So if the wind proves too much, I'll use my MF camera... Not bringing my wife. She's too smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I have to admit though, I'm not a landscape photographer. I'm more into architecture.
    Landscape, schmandscape. Landscape = portraiture = architecture. That's why all my rocks look like centerfolds, and all my centerfolds look like rocks.

Andrew, I'm not sure you got this beta (omega?) elsewhere, but the Eureka Valley is a remote, infrequently patrolled, district of DVNP. It is primitive camping with NO services. My recollection is that the campground has a vault toilet and a couple of tables. No water. No shade. That's it. Pack it in, pack it out. You need to be self sufficient. Entrance from the west can be blocked by snow on Westgard Pass – if it snows, which is still possible in March. Then, the only route in is from the south through the main park. In either case, if it has been raining, though unlikely, travel will likely be impossible even with 4WD. The last 10 or 15 miles to the dunes is (was?) on heavily, permanently washboarded desert hard pan, requiring speeds sometimes less than 5 mph to prevent one's teeth from falling out. It's probably best to check with the rangers before heading out.

ED is the only place I have ever kept a filter (UV, or light yellow) on my lens(es) for the entire time I was there, in order to protect expensive glass. Some photogs bring whisk brooms with them to smooth over footprints or other evidence of human activity. Visitors bring cardboard so that they can toboggan down the dunes.

Please don't let any of these cautions dissuade you. Its remoteness is what makes it totally worthwhile, even (or especially) if you don't take a single pic.

That's great information! Thank you. Nice image, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    The last 10 or 15 miles to the dunes is (was?) on heavily, permanently washboarded desert hard pan, requiring speeds sometimes less than 5 mph to prevent one's teeth from falling out. [/IMG][/CENTER]
    I find that if you go fast enough--around 40 mph is my FJ does it--you sort of ride the tips of the washboarding with not much vibration. Makes a hell of a dust cloud trail, though.

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    I find that if you go fast enough--around 40 mph is my FJ does it--you sort of ride the tips of the washboarding with not much vibration. Makes a hell of a dust cloud trail, though.

--Darin
    I was never able to find any comfortable speed trying to match the resonance of the washboard in either a Toyota 4Runner or a RAV4, even trying to add otherwise unnecessary 4WD. OTOH, I still own both vehicles with over 300K on them. That final bit into the Dunes is, for some reason, the worst washboard I've ever driven anywhere. Next time I'll have to use your FJ, per your generous offer ().

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post

--Darin
    I like the longer wheelbase of a Suburban, or an F150 supercab....
    ...Until I have to fill up with gas.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org