Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneideritis?

Re: Schneideritis?

Dan, it sounds like you are ascribing the "Schneideritis" effect to the paint on the edges of the glass elements. I see the effect as blisters in the paint on the blackened aluminum, inside barrel. So I don't get your connection to the element edges vs the inside of the barrel. When I pick at this blackened surface it appears to be paint that is baked enamel of some sort. Under a microscope I think I see a pinhole in the paint and within that a white spot that looks like aluminum oxide. But native Al2O3 grows to a few hundred angstrom units depth and then typically stops since it is impervious to air at that thickness.

These white spots are clearly thicker than a few hundred angstoms so appear to be some kind of corrosion chemistry possibly as a result of improper or sloppy surface treatment of the aluminum prior to painting. They vary in size so this is likely a dynamic corrosion process that is continuing over time and quite likely enhanced by local humidity.

Like others here I cannot ascribe any degradation in optical properties with the few lenses I have that show the phenomena but I do worry a bit about some of the spots becoming loose and shedding onto the lens elements.

Yes, Leigh has a good selection of lenses and if I was as wealthy as he I would follow suit. Not because I was afraid of Schneideritis but because those are stunning lenses.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Nathan, my Boyer lenses with severe boyeritis have brass barrels, not aluminum.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    ... I'm inclined to think that "WE ARE RIGHT AND WE ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE ANTHING! IF THERE IS A PROBLEM IT IS THE CUSTOMER'S!" is a disease that afflicts mainly German manufacturers. VW, BMW and E. Leitz and successors come to mind...
    Add Mercedes to that list. (I could tell you a story or two about my transmission, and the engine failure that is likely but yet to happen).

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post

These white spots are clearly thicker than a few hundred angstoms so appear to be some kind of corrosion chemistry possibly as a result of improper or sloppy surface treatment of the aluminum prior to painting. They vary in size so this is likely a dynamic corrosion process that is continuing over time and quite likely enhanced by local humidity.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    In my amateur opinion the detaching paint is probably a result of outgassing of the paint layer.

Dan Fromm:

I'm inclined to think that "WE ARE RIGHT AND WE ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE ANTHING! IF THERE IS A PROBLEM IT IS THE CUSTOMER'S!" is a disease that afflicts mainly German manufacturers. VW, BMW and E. Leitz [...]
    OMG! I have all of those! My BMW motorcycle needed new fork seals at 104,000 miles. My 1958 VW Bug is still running. Leicas - all okay after almost fifty years. And the Linhofs, Super Ikontas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    OMG! I have all of those! My BMW motorcycle needed new fork seals at 104,000 miles. My 1958 VW Bug is still running. Leicas - all okay after almost fifty years. And the Linhofs, Super Ikontas.
    I take you don't have a Leica-badged Minolta SLR made in Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I take you don't have a Leica-badged Minolta SLR made in Portugal.
    That is correct. For a laugh, see this.

I can not argue with anyone who has used Schneider lenses with the paint defect and achieved good results . I'm convinced that A lens with a paint defect will perform just as well as one without the defect. My only problem , after reading the technical opinions here , is will the lens get worse over time. The lens I am considering is a 360 f6.8 (ebay#301094860030) that will cost me a little over 500.00 . A good price for what it is , but not exactly cheap either. Also , this lens seems to have a serious case of Schneideritis. It seems to be all over the place. I have never seen oxidation or paint flaking get better over time.

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    I have never seen oxidation or paint flaking get better over time.
    At some point in the dim future, all the paint or anodize will have disappeared, and it stops getting worse.

That is not the same as getting better.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

"The lens I am considering is a 360 f6.8 (ebay#301094860030) that will cost me a little over 500.00. A good price for what it is , but not exactly cheap either."

I disagree, it's cheap! Not so many years ago it would have cost something like $1500? In 20 year old dollars? So in 20 more years it might get worse? I don't worry about the Schneideritis (or Fuji-itis or Lomo-itis). I think the likelihood of it affecting a picture is pretty close to nil and I'm getting a bargain. Buy it and shoot some pictures!