Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson V700 - dumb question - betterscanning/epson holders

Epson V700 - dumb question - betterscanning/epson holders

Hi Folks,

I have just bought an Epson V700 scanner and after reading about them, a betterscanning holder as well. I have dry mounted a slide as instructed on the "betterscanning" website and laid the holder onto the scanner. Hopefully this sounds sensible - there is only one way to lay the holder - then the glass insert as required, then the cut mask on top. I have tried using both Epson scan (newly installed today from Epson website) and Vuescan, but when I hit "preview" I get no recognizable image at all. With Epsonscan I get a message -"can not find document. Previw image in normal mode". When I look at the preview image, all I see is a mass of white and a very small amount of what looks like the holder. I understand there are locks on the scanner which need to be unlocked - I did that. Also you need to connect the electrical connection between the two parts of the scanner - I did that. Then when I used the Epson holder and clip in place, I get a fine image! All the settings for the scan were the same as with the "betterscanning holder". I noticed though that the Epson holders have "male" parts which plus into "female" parts on the scanner, holding in nice and tight with, I imagine, no light leaks.

So, my scanner clearly works fine but I must somehow be putting the "Betterscanning" holder in in the wrong way.

Can anyone shed any possible light (no pun intended) on what I am doing wrong? Anyway got any clues?

IF I can get good scans, then I am sold on this!

Cheers

Graham

Re: Epson V700 - dumb question - betterscanning/epson holders

Graham

Try turning the holder 180 on the bed of the scanner.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you mean such that the film is then directly on the bed of the scanner, the glass on top of that and then the mask and finally holder on top of that? All seems counter-intuitive to then call it a holder!

Graham

The glass sits in the top of the betterscan holder with the film suspended on the bottom side of the anti newton glass held in place with the tape

Graham,

There is a notch on the holder that should be toward the top/hinge end of the scanner. I should have said rotate 180 on the horizontal axis......

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Meekyman View Post
    Hi Folks,

I have just bought an Epson V700 scanner and after reading about them, a betterscanning holder as well. I have dry mounted a slide as instructed on the "betterscanning" website and laid the holder onto the scanner. Hopefully this sounds sensible - there is only one way to lay the holder - then the glass insert as required, then the cut mask on top. I have tried using both Epson scan (newly installed today from Epson website) and Vuescan, but when I hit "preview" I get no recognizable image at all. With Epsonscan I get a message -"can not find document. Previw image in normal mode". When I look at the preview image, all I see is a mass of white and a very small amount of what looks like the holder. I understand there are locks on the scanner which need to be unlocked - I did that. Also you need to connect the electrical connection between the two parts of the scanner - I did that. Then when I used the Epson holder and clip in place, I get a fine image! All the settings for the scan were the same as with the "betterscanning holder". I noticed though that the Epson holders have "male" parts which plus into "female" parts on the scanner, holding in nice and tight with, I imagine, no light leaks.

So, my scanner clearly works fine but I must somehow be putting the "Betterscanning" holder in in the wrong way.

Can anyone shed any possible light (no pun intended) on what I am doing wrong? Anyway got any clues?

IF I can get good scans, then I am sold on this!

Cheers

Graham
    I had that once. I had not positioned the better scanning holder correctly on the platen. The handle shaped ends need to be nearest to you and the square ends need to be up on the platen glass, here's the essential bit... you must make sure that it is not too far forward onto the surround as the scanner relies on that space between the two square shaped ends to register. Also check that you have selected that you are using a film holder and not the film area guide.

RR

Hi Rod,

You star!

At least I now get a scan, but in preview mode my 4x5 portrait image has been split into three!! So I get three panoramic type images rather the one image that is on my slide!! This is not exactly straightforward nor easy. I am using preview at 96dpi and also tried 2400 dpi (this the scan was split into four). I have target size set to "original". Any suggestions?

Cheers

Graham

Just to add that I just looked in the configuration tab and under the "film size" tab all I am offered is "medium format film" (using 4x5) and several choices (6 x 4.5 upto 6x9). If I changed to the latter, my image was then split into 4!

Graham

Hey

I am really dumb! I was looking at the "Thumbnail" preview over the "normal" and when in "normal" all was fine!

Cheers

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Meekyman View Post
    Hey

I am really dumb! I was looking at the "Thumbnail" preview over the "normal" and when in "normal" all was fine!

Cheers

Graham
    Ah! You've saved me a post. Everything alright now?

RR