Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodinal: Finally putting all the rhinos if what's "real" and what's "clone" etc

Re: Rodinal: Finally putting all the rhinos if what's "real" and what's "clone" etc

Anybody can buy a name. Look at Deardorff.

I hope my cynicism is not warranted. I'd like to start using what's-its-name again

Re: Rodinal: Finally putting all the rhinos if what's "real" and what's "clone" etc

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Who uses Rodinal for sheet film. Really, it used to be my favorite for roll films, but I've never found it useful for sheets.
    I use it for Delta and for FP4..Also on spare sheets of Tri X

Who uses Rodinal for sheet film. Really, it used to be my favorite for roll films, but I've never found it useful for sheets.
    Me. I use it for 4x5 and 8x10 tech pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Anybody can buy a name. Look at Deardorff.

I hope my cynicism is not warranted. I'd like to start using what's-its-name again
    If you read the linked thread you would know it's the right stuff... He (the ADOX rep) explained this...he couldn't make it up or lie or he would be sued...

I think the bottle should be marked "The REAL Rodinal!"

Eric Biggerstaff

ROL-

Rodinal / Adonal / R09 has been my primary developer for about 6 years with TriX, Delta 100, Foma 400, FP4+ and HP5+. I get excellent results from it and have been happy. I have also used at times Tmax RS, DDX, D76, etc. Probably the DDX is my favorite in terms of grain size but it is expensive. I have grown to where I know what the various versions of the old Rodinal formula will produce and I am happy with my prints from it thus far.

I have not noticed much, if any, difference from the various versions but hey, I am not a great big tester so perhaps there is some slight difference, I just know I like the prints. That said, if Adox can label it's "Rodinal" then heck, might as well get that one.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    ...Rodinal / Adonal / R09 has been my primary developer for about 6 years with...Delta 100...I have not noticed much, if any, difference from the various versions...That said, if Adox can label it's "Rodinal" then heck, might as well get that one.
    Eric, I've been poking around the forum archive and found that you expose Delta 100 sheets at EI100 and process them in Rodinal 1+50. I'm about to perform some trials with that combination and would appreciate a ballpark starting time/temperature. I'll be using Expert drums on a Jobo CPA-2 at around 45 rpm with a pre-rinse. Thanks in advance.

Kevin Kolosky

Could you show some examples to show why you "never found it useful for sheets", and describe the particular characteristics in the examples that show what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Only recently I've switched to a rotary processor, and I kind of want to switch it for that ...
    Rodinal is a compensating developer when used per the instructions (gentle infrequent agitation).

When using a rotary processor that compensating effect is lost.

I've used Rodinal for many decades on a variety of fine-grain (slow) films, and have been very pleased.
    It works fine in both trays and tanks. I never (? almost ?) use it in the Jobo.

Regardless of processing method, you must use 10ml of concentrate per 8x10 sheet equivalent.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    ...Regardless of processing method, you must use 10ml of concentrate per 8x10 sheet equivalent...
    Only if one wishes to do things right and avoid exhaustion regardless of scene content. Prepare for an onslaught of posters who'll report that they "use less and it works fine."