Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to have larger color prints than 48x96 made ?

Where to have larger color prints than 48x96 made ?

The Epsons are not limited in length, however, the largest one, the 10600 (relatively scarcely installed, unlike the 9600) can print only to 44" in width. The maximum printing size of the Lightjet is 48" x 96". What are the a digital printers that can print larger than that in one sheet at fine-art quality ? Can you recommend a lab or service bureau that has one of those, and can operate mail-order ? Thanks.

Hi QT-

Not sure if this is up your ally or not, but I use Image Craft in Phoenix (also in Scottsdale, AZ) and their brochure ("Any Image, Any Size, Anywhere") lists custom color prints up to 72"x132" with larger sizes on request. I know they use a Durst Lambda for most work, the biggest I have had done there was a 4x5' print and was very pleased (but boy-what a price!). www. imcraft.com

Regards

Bob

Duggal does 72" wide 12-color inkjets. Not sure how wide they can do C-prints. www.duggal.com

Grieger lab in Germany uses an 'Océ Lightjet 500 XL' for print sizes up to 180 x 360cm (70"x141") in one sheet. Costs start at app. 500 EUR/ 609 $ depending on how much effort is needed for the final print.

www.grieger-online.de

In Amsterdam: Kleurgamma.com has a Mutoh Rockhopper II with a maximum width of 223 cm and infinite height. They also have an English webside version, maybe worth looking at. I have no expirience with them.

Duggal....

Reed Photo Imaging of Denver (http://www.reedphoto.com/) advertises Lightjet prints up to 48"x120". They're a very fine-art oriented shop, so they may be able to do even more if you talk to them. Ask for Bob Reed, he's the owner. I've used their services for over a year, and have repeatedly been very satisfied.

Joffre Swait

Gursky's prints are done at Grieger. Based on his last show at Matthew Marks, it looks like 70 inches is about the limit on width - I could see the seams where the two print segments were joined.

It's a minor point and somewhat off on a tangent, but when you write "The Epsons are not limited in length, however, the largest one, the 10600 (relatively scarcely installed, unlike the 9600) can print only to 44" in width." it seems to imply that the relatively common 9600 cannot print as wide as the relatively rare 10600. In fact, both can print 44" wide.

The Epson inkjet printers are made by Seiko. Seiko has sold the Epson piezo print heads to other printer manufacturers, notably Mutoh, Mamaki, and Roland. All make "grand format" printers in the 62-64" wide range for indoor photographic purposes.

There are other manufacturers, such as ColorSpan. Their DisplayMaker X12+ machines use 12 inks and print up to 72" wide.

Alternately, you could look to the outdoor advertising banner makers. They have printers up to about 3m wide (120in) IIRC. I'm not sure any of them are suitable for fine art work however. Mostly solvent inks on vinyl substates?

What I'm thinking is, you want a service provider that has "grand format" photographic printing cababilaties. I don't know off hand who does this kind of work other than the ones already recommended.

Bruce Watson