Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Graphic?

Which Graphic?

Travis-

I'm sure something in your research has lead you to the Graphics as the cameras you're interested in getting to start. I can't question that decision without knowing what kind of photography you want to do . I will, however, note here that you can generally find an old Cambo or Calumet monorail in the same price range as a Super or Super Speed graphic in reasonable condition. (Figure around US$200 or thereabouts on eBay.) The monorails aren't as convenient to carry into the field, but the old Cambo and Calumet models aren't all that difficult to carry either. There is, however, absolutely no chance you'll use such a camera hand-held.

You mention in your post that the Graflok back can be rotated, and others have noted that you can just rotate the whole camera for the Graphics that have a spring back. The other thing that a Graflok back will give you is a much easier adaptation to a roll film adapter. Roll film adapters that fit under a spring back are available, but not as cheaply or as easily as such an adapter for a Graflok back.

If your plans include roll film, keep this in mind (although I personally think you'd be better served by ignoring roll film for now and learning to use a 4x5 camera to get those great, _large_ negatives or transaparencies for a while). Roll film is cheaper to shoot, but the impact of your first 4x5 negative or slide is much greater than a roll of 6cm film, It's easier to speed things up and blow through film with a roll film back, but my personal experience is that shooting single sheets is much more contemplative and a better learning experience.

Whatever camera you end up with (and I think any of the 4x5 Graphics newer than the pre-Anniversary model are fine choices), spend some time learning to use all of its features before you start to look for something with more capabilities. I personally find myself using back movements more now, but when I started out doing landscape and architectural work in LF, all that I normally used were front tilt and front rise.

Be well.

multiplex

Which Graphic?

hey travis - -

not much to add here but with a speed graphic ( at least i know my pacemaker speed graphic is like this) you can use lenses from 65mm all the way to a 15" teleoptar. for a while i even used a 58mm brass lens for some really wide angle shots.

no matter what you buy, remember it won't be your camera forever, but you'll use it alot and maybe sell it ( and probably get all your money back) if you don't like it, and/or you'll get a more sophisticated camera with more bells+whistles.

ebay has lots of bargains

good luck!

Which Graphic?

Someone else might chime in here and say otherwise, but I went through the same research about a year ago and eventually decided on either a Burke & James or a Meridian 45B. ( I wound up with the Meridian.) I decided against the graphic because I wanted one with a focal plane shutter, but the local camera repair guy told me that all of the focal plane shutters he had seen were junk and wouldn't function without a lot of repair, if at all. Also, after watching the prices on Ebay, it seemed that the good graphics were going for way more than they should be.

So, if you can get one with a good focal plane shutter so that you can use barrels (especially with a graphlok back) at a decent price then I think you would have a great camera.

I have to say I love that Meridian 45B. I also have a Gowland pocket view and its hard to decide which one to use sometimes. Mostly it depends on how far I have to hike.

Good luck,

Which Graphic?

Well if you want movements then the B&J has quite a bit. Still no rear movements but the front does it all. OTOH the bellows could be longer. No graflok. But the back does rotate. Best of all they tend to be very cheap.

Which Graphic?

The Super Speed Graphic was my choice a little over a year ago. Absolutely no regrets. Works great with a 90mm lens and a 210mm also. Back rotates. Front standard has ALL movements without having to turn camera on its side or upside down! Limits are: no back movements and lenses too wide or too long won't work. It'll keep you happy while you learn the ropes and build a lens selection. $350 (US) and it came with the well regarded Ektar 127mm.

Which Graphic?

Hi Travis,

Check out graflex.org. It's a great Graflex resource.

By the way the Super Graphic and Super Speed Graphic have significant movements. More than any other Graphic, I believe.

I have a Super Speed in very nice condition for sale. Here's a pic. If you're interested, contact me off board.

Regards,

Steve

Which Graphic?

William,

Sounds like yer local repair guy had no clue as to how to work on and/or fix a graphics focal plane shutter. Maybe he ought to keep working on 1969 Chevy Novas or something else simple. I have four Graphic focal plane cameras and not one of them is 'junk'. All reasonably accurate (in line with leaf shutters I have) and these babies date back to the '30s. I have heard the Meridian is a fine camera, but the Graphic is a tank, a well loved one in my house.

tim in san jose